Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #21 
Banicks

Hi MishByrne,

From the pictures it looks like blood in the eye, unfortunately there really isn't much that can be done as far as intervention for healing. All you can do is ensure that the wound doesn't become infected with the use of AQ salt as prescribed by Sakura.

Until such a time as you can obtain some AQ salt it is imperative to ensure you undertake 100% water changes once a day. I highly recommend stress coat to aid in healing, which also doubles as a water conditioner.

My recommendation for a great basic Betta setup would be:

- 2.5g tank (minimum)
- Substrate (not sharp)
- Silk plants and decorations if desired (DIY is also possible – mugs, jugs, PVC pipe, terracotta pots [not sharp and no holes where lil dude can get stuck])
- Heater (depending how big of a tank you go, will depend on wattage. The General rule is 1w per g.)
- Internal suction thermometre
- Hikari Betta Food, AQ Salt and Epsom Salt (although we wont be using epsom salts at this time, it is good to have on hand for the possible future)

A tank under 5g is difficult to cycle, so a filter won’t be necessary. With that sort of setup I believe you will be able to undertake a 50% water change with a 100% water change every other day. But I get confused and it may be best to get the tank you prefer, then consult us again for your best course of action (whether that be cycling or a water change schedule)

Oops, sorry I missed the 2nd page of this thread. Only just saw it when I finished writing this. *derp*

My water change trick is to get a clean mug - no soap residue. Boil the mug if your unsure. Once the mug is ready, place it near the surface, without any water in it and angle the base into the water, once the lil dude comes up to breath push the mug under and it will suck water into the mug along with the Betta.

This eliminates the need to run around the tank with a net, and it also serves as his temporary home whilst the main tank is being cleaned. Word of warning though, place a cloth over the top of the mug to prevent light stress and also jumping - my little guy jumped from a tuppaware container and I spent the next 2 minutes searching the area until I found him! That was a panickfest.

PS. No soap or detergents or anything when cleaning tank. Just hot water :)

Last edited by Banicks; 10-10-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #22 
MishByrne

I am guessing you missed my update regarding Mr. Bubbles. Already in aq salt and stress coat. Got him a heater. Currently in a 3 litre home until he recovers and I can afford a bigger one. Left his bamboo plant there because he loves to swim in the roots and to rub against the stick.

Thanks for the advise though, will consult again about his habitat once I upgrade his home :)

For the moment with his current setup... Any suggestions on how to make the water changes less stressful for Mr. Bubbles and my sister?
MishByrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #23 
MishByrne

Thank you so much Banicks! Will instruct my sister on that and try the mug trick tomorrow ;)

I never use soap... at least I knew that LOL

Thank you thank you thank you!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #24 
Sakura8

Hi MishByrne, thanks for the pics and update. Well, his eye doesn't look so hot. I'm thinking he may have lost some sight in his eye. But don't worry, fish can get along fine without sight because of their lateral line senses. There are even fish that have no eyes at all (google blind cave tetra). So the AQ salt and the heater you purchases will help your guy a lot. Mainly what we want is to keep the eye area as clean as possible to prevent infection while it is healing over. And I agree with you, water in Mexico probably isn't good for fish even with a bucketload of water conditioner. >.< Sorry, I bet spring water gets expensive too.

Along with Banicks' trick of using a mug for water changes, you can also use a clear plastic cup so he can't see it coming. The cup method really is the least stressful method for removing a fish from its tank. But I've also scooped my fish out with my hand before when necessary. Not reccomended but if it works, it works.

Okay, sounds like you've got everything under control now. Oh, with the bamboo. Make sure the leaves are always above water or they'll rot off. Good luck and keep us posted on your little guy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #25 
MishByrne

Thank you Sakura! Seems like he did loose sight in that eye but only time can tell if he will recover some....

Will keep you posted when I come back after the weekend. Meanwhile my sister will look after him and definitely a clear plastic cup sounds less stressful, will do that from now on. So glad I found this forum. Mr. Bubbles is very dear to me and I feel better knowing he is being looked after as he deserves.

Thank you so much for all your support and help! :D
Old 10-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #26 
purplemuffin

Aww poor guy! Good luck with him! Now he has a cool scar he can show off with. Makes him look tough! ;) I hope everything recovers nicely!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #27 
MishByrne

Thank you! :)