Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Exclamation Angry/horrified AND disgusted! (rant with a good ending?)

-begin rant-
Okay, short rant spew... So, I go to the pet store to get some frozen foods, or at least see what they carry. They only get frozen bloodworms, and right now they have none betta friendly :) That, is fine.

Then... I wandered around. -GAG- OH MY GOSH. 95% of the tanks had between 1-5 decaying matter... and I am not talking about plants and snails... I mean plecos, and snails. One tank is infested with ich. Another tank is infested with swim bladder... The SBD balloon molly is thrice the size of a pregnant one, and the platies are so distorted! Tank after tank, something is dead... or a betta is stressed (one tail biter, because he was uncomfortable with the tetras), or has been destroyed.

So I come to one betta, a purple boy with red and white fins. He looked at me, and flared...or tried. He can only half flare...So I am guessing half his face is destroyed? And then he fled, and I saw his fins were chopped to bits (wonder if he was the victim of rosy barbs?). Luckily he had been removed to his own 20 gallon... but that tank was filthier than any tank I have seen!

Now I know the store owner hasn't been in for a while.. it's only been his employee (I don't get along with her...). And when I worked there I was told to make sure ANY dead fish were removed! Any injured fish (bettas) quarantined!

-end rant-

So, I took him home. Out of ALL the bettas.... The others had severe ich, NO fins, or looked like they would die if they were moved. I did not care if I had to pay full price (which I did). I will add pictures soon of my little Shiloh :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #2 
Banicks

Well done.

Whenever I see Bettas being mistreated I am always tempted to buy a setup and take them home with me for a better life!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Yeah!! It was him or the one without any fins (ohhh darn those barbs...) but he looked like he would actually live. >< He does not have fin rot yet, so mind as well get him clean water, and keep AQ at hand just in case!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #4 
Echo

that's worse than the PetNo near my apartment.. they've always got something dead in each tank.. but ich, dropsy.. one of each in everything?
OOOOOOOoooohhhh... just... *snarl*
excuse me. i've got to go hit something..
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
that's worse than the PetNo near my apartment.. they've always got something dead in each tank.. but ich, dropsy.. one of each in everything?
OOOOOOOoooohhhh... just... *snarl*
excuse me. i've got to go hit something..
Lol I know!! I respect the store owner... But that employee should've checked ALL tanks, and cleaned out all that. I dunno how you even get a tank full of dropsy.... And then there was a betta in there (no dropsy YET)... so yeah. I thought, well, this poor little guy will be safer and happier with me!

Also... A red flag (question?).... The tank he was in was about a 20 gallon I think... She scooped his water into the bag, put him in... I get home and have him in his bag, and I notice something.... To me it looks like eggs would sitting on the bottom of the bag... (I got rid of what I could but he is scared of anything so he disturbed the pile) please tell me that's not ich!! I have him in a container right now, nice and warm...

Also, he definitely has trust issues (he's a dog!! XD). Any time he sees you he backs away... You move near him he freaks out. Poor guy!

Edit: ... First post was meant to say plecos and fish. XD ugh m mind is gone.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #6 
Laki

congrats on your new fish :) He'll come around in due time. Just used to idiots mis handling them.
Talk with the owner when he gets back, heck, take some pictures as proof. Esp if you and the girl don't get along she'll likely lie about it all. And clean them sparkly the day before e gets back :/

Ich is a fungus which grows on the fish, it wouldn't be sitting in a little pile at the bottom of the bag. Wouldn't know TBH what that stuff is, I would flush it though.

Name your new guy yet? Pics would be great :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #7 
cherrybello

and I thought PetBarn with a tank full of ich infested gold fish was bad... I hope they didn't try to sell the diftwood plant in that tank

But yeah, I saw a lot of poor bettas in my petshop runs. Most petshop employees I have seen are just plain lazy or too focused on those "merchandises" that makes noise and attract more attention - namely cats and dogs if present. I often find myself trying to force a reaction with the bettas. Been seeing a girl quite a bit from one store, I am tempted to take her home...
cherrybello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

awww yeah. I named him Shiloh (the name popped in my head when I saw him). I have pictures, when I got him, and I got a picture of that weird stuff in the bottom.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #9 
Miyazawa

im so glad that you saved him!!! you have to tell me more about him :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
congrats on your new fish :) He'll come around in due time. Just used to idiots mis handling them.
Talk with the owner when he gets back, heck, take some pictures as proof. Esp if you and the girl don't get along she'll likely lie about it all. And clean them sparkly the day before e gets back :/

Ich is a fungus which grows on the fish, it wouldn't be sitting in a little pile at the bottom of the bag. Wouldn't know TBH what that stuff is, I would flush it though.

Name your new guy yet? Pics would be great :)
Ichthyophthirius multifiliis is a protozoa (parasite) infection not a fungus infection :P

Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

He's got a purple body :p and when he came home part of his fins (previously only purple residing into red and white) went blue! He's similar to my Crayola... just not as neon-ish lol! I am so sad though... part of his face is obviously destroyed... he can only half flare :( He's definitely been beaten up. When I can get him calm enough I want to use light, and a magnifying glass to see what's going on. Also when his gills move (panic attack? ><) it's only one that does... I really wonder what the heck happened!

I think he'll be a good betta once he's feeling better and healing up :) btw... how could it be his "face plate" is damaged enough not to be in use? it's still there. just flat against his face.

I will also note I suspect him to be a jumper xD
-must find camera cord to show pictures!!!-
-got pictures!-
First pic is of the weird....egg like shtuff. I also noticed something like "white tissue" on his damaged side of his face?

He did on day two make a bubble nest :)
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 10-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.