Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #1 
Marie0304

Cannot get my female betts to EAT!!! :0[

My betta is at least 3 years old. She WAS spunky and happy up until about a month ago. I haven't changed how I care for her at all. She rarely moves around and won't eat pellets, bloodworms or peas. :0( Rarely, she will eat some peas I drop in but mostly doesn't even seem interested. :0( I'm sad. Is she just old and dying? She doesn't seem constipated. I think she has eaten a tiny bit of a green pea once a week for the past month. :0(
Marie0304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #2 
Myates

Poor girl =(

Peas are for goldfish for bloating... bettas are insectivores/carnivores.. they can't digest the peas at all whatsoever. So I highly recommend not using the peas. Unsure why some use it when their bettas got bloated, but it's not recommended to use.

She is getting up there in years for a betta (2-5 years is common, sometimes longer).. it may just be her getting older and not being able to tolerate as much. What size tank is she in? Do you have it heated, what is the temp? How often do you do water changes and what is the %?
Do you use conditioner? What source of water are you using? City tap, distilled, spring, well water, etc?
Do you know the ammonia/nitrate/ite levels? Is it filtered?

Only reason I am asking (since you mentioned haven't changed your care for her) is because bettas can tolerate unfavorable conditions for a while, but it usually catches up to them at some point, and with getting older, something may not be correct and it is having an effect on her now.

If she is only eating peas.. then she is starving since can't digest = no nutrition, which would explain why she is lethargic. Try pre-soaking a couple pellets in garlic juice (either fresh ground up garlic + tank water, or garlic juice from a jar of garlics) right before trying to feed her. Garlic usually works to stimulate the hunger in bettas and it may work for her. It sounds as if she really needs the food.

It sounds like it could be a couple different things.. but will need more info to find out what it could be.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #3 
Marie0304

I read online that peas were good for constipation and it seemed to have helped one of my bettas in the past so... ? I will stop trying to use them. I think it's the fiber in them that was the idea... ??

I have her in an un-heated glass bowl like this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3441531

The temp stays the same as the house... mid-70's. I change the water about every couple of weeks. She has no scale or fin problems... no crazy things going on from the looks of her... She's just less active and "depressed-acting." It's so very sad. My husband tells me to stop "fretting over her... she's just a fish." Well... I love her. I don't want her to starve. I don't have any garlic stuff so I'll have to get that. I'll try it. I tried giving her a live blood worm and she ate it a few times but then spit it out. She acted pretty interested in it (but this was last week)... she seemed to try to "chew it" and then would spit it out and look at it. Ugh! I generally do not use water conditioner since I let the water sit for awhile and let the chlorine evaporate... It's well water and I don't check any of the levels. I sound like a terrible fish parent, I suppose. The water is not filtered. I keep it clean though. Occasionally I have changed ALL of the water so I could clean the bowl really well... Just saving enough water to put her in the small glass while I cleaned the bowl and then I would add it, plus her, back into the clean water...

I do have a 42 gallon tank that has cory cats, black and white tetras and a few rosy barbs and 1 pleco. I thought about adding her to that... It's, of course, heated and filtered... but then I would worry about getting her food to her... Rosy barbs are big pigs. Oh, I also have 2 silver dollars in there. I just don't know what to do, other than try the garlic, as you mentioned.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Yeah it is the fiber that is recommended... But peas aren't too awesome for bettas... better for koi and goldfish. I also highly do not recommend having her with rosy barbs... some people can do it, but most bettas I have seen are pestered to death, lose all fins (male and female), and are stressed. I do recommend getting some water conditioner :) it'll help lots!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #5 
Marie0304

I have some water conditioner/de-chlorinator that I use on my big fish tank... I will add some in there. I add it to the betta bowl if I don't have enough water that has been sitting around for over a day, you know... to de-chlorinate the water... I will put some in her bowl. I tried soaking some pellets in some garlic powder and water (not garlic salt, mind you! ;0)) and she ignored them too. I am really not looking forward to watching my sweet little pinkish-purple colored precious baby starve to death, dang it!!! :(
Old 10-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #6 
Myates

You may want to try a 100% water change. In a tank 1-3 gals unfiltered, 1 50% and 1 100% water change with water conditioner per week is what your goal is. Not for "dirty" water, but for what you can't see, ammonia/nitrate/ites that build up in smaller tanks. She may be suffering one of those poisonings. She could of been fine all this time with it, but all it takes is a lower immunity, a little sick, age, something and it will get to them.
Seeing the moving worm started up her instinct and that is why she went after it.. I'm still stumped as to why she isn't eating. There is very few diseases and illnesses that has loss of appetite as one of the top 3 symptoms.. Cotton mouth, Hole in the Head, fin rot and ich are the usual suspects. If there are no other symptoms that you see other then lethargy (all those have lethargy associated with them too), there may be something internal going on that we just don't see.
Is her belly swollen? Does she have white spots on her that look like grains of salt? How are her fins?
I'm sorry, I wish I could help more, but the loss of appetite stumps me =(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dying