Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #11 
Okami

The only real way to counter the sale of the dumb bowls is to not buy them and inform retailers what they are selling. Its very much like the "painting" of glass fish, the only way to protest it is to not support it and inform consumers and the stores.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Unfortunately, some people are just plain stupid. I will never understand what joy people get from a half-dead fish and a dirty bowl. But that's okay. Fish only have a ten second memory don't you know?

However with that said, there are a lot of people out there who don't really care. If their fish dies they can just go down to the shop and buy a new one. I describe them as willfully ignorant. They know what they are doing is wrong, but they just don't care.

It's no wonder that society is such a super place when some individuals display such a blatant lack of empathy. You only have to go on Youtube to realise there are a lot of cruel people out there, who are very proud of the fact that they have all the emotional depth of a rock.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #13 
Okami

Well Said little betta fish. To the ignorant masses bettas can be nothing more than moving accessories. I even heard a story of a Betta in a container that was a womans purse......
Old 10-12-2011, 04:27 AM   #14 
HatsuneMiku

petco's are so ill-imformed that it's along the lines of animal cruelty .. last time i was there (a month ago .. getting NLS .. since petsmart doesn't carry this brand .. and all the LFS only have the super large size tubs) .. there was a giant neon orange colored starburst shaped sign that said "perfect tank mates for betta" .. stuck on the goldfish tank .. i tried to steal that sign .. but the worker came over and asked me if i needed help .. x_x .. i was still stunned that i said no and walked away .. i'll never go back to petco for anything ..
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #15 
tf1265

Adam, well done for rehoming the tetras without a fight once you realized you didn't have the proper space for them. I myself have made that mistake several times when I was silly enough to listen to people at the petstores. I had a guy who INSISTED he was an aquarium expert sell me 2 male dwarf gouramis for my 10 gallon tank, and told me they were very peaceful and easy. It took me about an hour to realize these 2 were going to attack each other constantly until I took one out - 10 gallons isn't really big enough for 1 male DG, let alone 2, AND they are semi-aggressive - even after I removed 1 the other one almost killed my platies. I also promptly rehomed them both on facebook and learned my lesson. Now I research before I go to the petstore (BTW, if anyone is looking to expand from bettas a housing site of this forum, tropicalfishkeeping.com, is an EXCELLENT forum with active and helpful experts).

Also - fun story - the petco near me once tried to sell me 2 female bettas to be housed together in a 1/2 gallon bowl. They had a "factbook" next to the tiny plastic cups with the bettas that said that 2 females are fine to live together and that 1/2 gallon is the perfect size for this. I wanted to throw their book out the window and bring them a copy on how sororities actually work and the requirements for them. Unbelievable.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #16 
adamxaotmic

Well I look at the companies making these "Betta homes" and they seem to be high end companies. So I feel they are just as guilty as the pet stores as well.
There have been times (to the annoyance of my girlfriend) where I have trolled in the Betta section of Petco and PetSmart informing customers of proper Betta housing and care. But encouraging them to rescue the Bettas at said store as well.
adamxaotmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #17 
Bombalurina

^^ I've started doing the same thing in my local shops. So far, the crises (crisises?) I have managed to avert include:
- sterbai cories being sold as coldwater (despite the fact that the peppered cories were all in tropical tanks)
- someone buying a gold gourami, a blue gourami, an angelfish, a silver dollar and a male betta and putting them all in the same tank
- and a guy trying to sell me a clown loach for my 14.5x14.5 inch tank because "they only grow to the size of the tank". *facepalm*

My sister and mother just walk away from me now when I enter a petshop.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #18 
Okami

I hate those "fact books" who ever wrote them should be shot. I think im the only one I know that has a "good" petco. I know the employees and they have high end tanks like I do. They know what to not tell customers and do not put up redicilious signs.