Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #1 
gmd1800

What do you do?

I thought this would be a really neat topic. I apologize if it's been done before.

If you're not in college yet, I know how confusing and challenging it can be to figure out what you want to do as a career. I thought this would be a really neat idea to help our younger members kind of get a start on figuring out what they're interested in. Also would be really cool to share our experiences.

If you're in college, what are you studying, and what do you want to do with your degree?

If you're done with college or working, what do you do? If you have a degree, what is it in, and how does it apply to your career?

I'll start!

I'm a junior in college, majoring in Biology with a concentration/minor in Deaf Cultural Studies. My first quarter of college I majored in Biomedical Photographic Communications with hopes of becoming a surgical photographer. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy my classes and got burned out pretty quickly, so I switched majors. I have an interest in Zoology, and I hope to go to graduate school to receive a Master of Science degree in Zoology or Animal Sciences. My ultimate goal is to become a zookeeper at a zoo on the East Coast.

What about you guys?
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

I want to be a Vet when I grow up. I'll ahve to take a bunch of science in Highschool and College.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #3 
gmd1800

Yep - but it's a very enriching job. While I'm not a vet (or that interested in veterinary medicine), I do work alongside vets at the zoo, and I hear so much fascinating stories. One of the rhinos tried to charge our vet tech a few weeks ago when he got an injection - you can't exactly say that about human medicine often!

You'll have to take chemistry, biology, anatomy, physiology, and some medical-inclined classes (not too sure what), but as long as you do well and have the right experiences, you should be fine! :)
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #4 
Tisia

I've recently started working towards my A.A.S. in bakery management and loving it. I'm hoping to have my own bakery someday after I finish school and get a few years experience working in someone else's, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
I've recently started working towards my A.A.S. in bakery management and loving it. I'm hoping to have my own bakery someday after I finish school and get a few years experience working in someone else's, lol
That would be cool! I'll have someone that I can order baked goods from. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:02 AM   #6 
Tisia

lol, I've thought about trying to create some dog biscuits and selling them on etsy. humans generally seem to be a bit pickier than dogs so I'll probably wait a bit before trying to come up with new recipes for people food, lol.
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 AM   #7 
purplemuffin

I'm in college for illustration! I plan to sort of..do a bunch of things with my art. Maybe get involved in concept art for online games, illustrate books, do storyboarding for small films or commercials.

I also have some projects in mind related to art. I plan to do a series of pieces about the less popular endangered animals that are sadly MORE in trouble than the big cats and just as important to their environment. But not many people donate money to save the endangered snake, lizard, fish, frog, or bug, no matter how important they may be. They just aren't snuggly like pandas or tigers. :(

So I plan to change that. :) Want to do a sort of...fantasy illustration. Instead of just a piece that is just a photo of the animal(like we always see for conservation), I want to show the legend of the animal..Since, honestly, these are our dragons. These are our unicorns. We have animals alive with incredible abilities and beauty that we don't even know about. Visit http://www.thefeaturedcreature.com/ to see what I mean. Amazing animals that no one knows much about. A lot of them endangered. :(

My goal is to save our living dragons. We don't want them to end up as fairy tales. It's going to be a group project, where other artists can contribute and draw art of other animals they feel need attention, with prints being sold that will donate money to a proper organization specifically helping these animals! Spreading education and wonder to help out the coolest animals in the planet!! :D Sounds exciting!

I like standing up for the little guy, or the one who is misunderstood. That's why I'm fond of snakes, bettas, and hermit crabs. Very few animals go through as much suffering as these guys do from just ignorance.

I'd also like to use my own pets for education. :) I'm tired of ignorance. There is no excuse for it--I say we should teach, and educate. So many animals can be saved just through education! :) :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:32 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Graduate Student at American Public University - working on MA in Military History

I also work for Arctic Slope Regional Corp, which is a native corporation (basically instead of forming reservations like the Navajo and Hopi, alaskan natives voted to form corporations). i'm a white girl though, not an eskimo.

http://www.asrc.com/Pages/Home.aspx

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-14-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #9 
hedgehog

I study animal science and biology in college and am graduating at the end of the semester. I also just finished applying to vet school so hopefully I'll be hearing good news back from them.

Last edited by hedgehog; 10-14-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: I forgot that I just got my biology minor approved
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #10 
Leeniex

On Weds I will be an unemployed Medical Assistant. Technically I graduate on 10/27 but my externship ends Wednesday.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote