Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 01:39 AM   #1 
BellasMomma

Can my female Betta get trapped in her baffled filter???

I got a new 10 gallon and Violet LOVES the filter. She is always around it and going inside the water bottle i baffled it with. Even though its pushing her all around she sits there for like 10 seconds and then swims out. Theres no way she can swim up the current and get trapped right!?!?! I baffled it just as this website said to...
This is her checking it out... It looks set up right.... right!?!
Attached Images

BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #2 
BellasMomma

Ok i guess since noone seems to know for sure, has YOUR Betta ever got stuck in yer baffled filter???
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #3 
SnowySurface

I've heard of bettas swimming up into filters so it is possible. All you can do as a fish owner is baffle the filter so it becomes harder for the fish to get up there. If it does happen you've already done everything you could to prevent curiousity from killing the fish. (I know, I know. Not punny XD)

If you really are that worried about your fish getting into the baffle, then you can baffle with aquarium sponge. However, I do have more current in my tank than is suggested. I guess you could stick aquarium sponge into the baffle. Water goes right through it and it would be a physical barricade to prevent your fish from going into the baffle. But if your fish is very determined (like Snowy), you will see the aqurium sponge floating in a corner of your tank and you betty looking at you with a halo over his head. I'll answer your second question just to prove how suicidal Bettas can be. There is a point where you can only shrug and say, "I tried to warn you but you just had to..." It also explains why I had to get creative with blocking off the filter.

I know Snowy would be dead already with a conventional baffle if he can knock the sponge out of place. I had to get a bigger aquarium sponge (for 70gallon tanks) so the tank cover holds down the sponge to keep the baracade in place. I have no idea why Snowy likes playing around the sponge so much. He stopped a bit now because the sponge doesn't move, but I thought I would come home to a disaster for about a week.

Luigi's insanity is a bit tamer. He likes to swim near the filter intake, float, and slowly get pulled up againts the filter. He swims away from it when he gets bored so I doubt it's due to excessively strong a suction. I think Luigi treats it like an amusement park ride or something. That section is also baffled with aquarium sponge, so his fins shouldn't get sucked into the vent and water can still flow through. But I wouldn't be surprised if I can home to find Luigi swimming around in circles because he only has one fin. He doesn't even bother flaring when I stick my face up against the tank to look at his fins to make sure they are all healthy.

So...yeah....I could write a book about fish that think up new ways to give their owners heart attacks. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #4 
1983SS454

My half-moon Gronk drives me nuts with his filter, he goes over and lays again the intake like he's getting a massage, gets bored and swims off. When I put a sponge over it he gets mad and pouts in his cave. Drives me nuts lol
1983SS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #5 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983SS454 View Post
My half-moon Gronk drives me nuts with his filter, he goes over and lays again the intake like he's getting a massage, gets bored and swims off. When I put a sponge over it he gets mad and pouts in his cave. Drives me nuts lol

You put the sponge on the outside of the vents? No wonder Luigi keeps doing the same thing as Gronk. I put my sponge on the inside behind the vents. Luigi get a similar message feeling since he can lay up against the vent. Now I have to adjust his set up again. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote