Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Talking Going to the city for supplies - questions

1. firstly what should you feed bettas for raw, cooked, live, frozen foods? Mealworms seem to be okay but -squirms- I don't wanna chop live things again LOL. yuck. Do they even sell shrimp mainly as food? Or do you have to get a culture starter and such?

2. plants for sorority in 20 gallon: I know I need tall plants... And some medium height plannts. Or a mix of everything!!! And I'm talking live :) preferably potted, or ones I can attach to the bottom one way or another. I do have regular sized gravel, so I have nooo idea if planted plants are okay o_o Names of plants, and hardiness they have, light they need... that'd be awesome :p I've heard names like... sword? banana plant? Whta's the plants you use?

3. I'm wondering if I should get some pretty plakat females. To make 100% sure they haven't mislabeled the poor things, what are a few pointers to make sure it's for 1 a female, and for 2, a female? I'll see how docile they are too, one way or another. I will be removing Madame from the sorority, so everyone will be more submissive, and everything will be rearranged to make territory completely for the remaining 4 girlies, so the new ones can be put in.

4. You seem to have petsmarts and Petcos near you... Since that is generally where I am going, are there any cheap 2-5 gallon tanks? and which ones to avoid or are best? The sites are not as helpful as what the stores would actually have :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #2 
Luimeril

i dunno about the rest of them, but for number 4, i suggest Kritter Keepers(or whatever brand they have). it's about $10 or so for a 2/3 gallon one. :d Scout, Spy, and Ichi live in one, and they adore it. it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works. :D
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

True!!! I know they have those :) I looked on the sites... and oh my gosh petco is so much more expensive o_O I don't want bowls because I hate the fact Crayola is in one and you cannot see the fish sometimes -panic-"where's the fish?!!" xD

And I see they have a 2.5 gallon tanks... for 2 bettas... with divider... -shakes head- I say no. too close of quarters for my bettas. xD everyone will get their own tanks. ^^ I have over 200.00 going there, for plants and tanks/keepers :)

also, here where i live Fluval Chi is 100.00 to 150.00 for under 7 gallons.. there it's... 70.00 for a 5 gallon. -feels ripped off in this town- luckily I don't buy tanks from here.....

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 10-14-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #4 
Luimeril

they're usually around $9-13 or so, and are safe to heat. :d
Old 10-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

they are?? cooool =D My room is a jungle, btw. all I am missing are plants. >.> .. ... and trees. .. .. .. and..... and... grass... or moss rather... xDDD It's soo warm in there (heater, in the basement, darn rights) and the bettas looooooove it.

-cough- Not getting this product -cough-
"Bettas naturally live in small bodies of water in their native Southeast Asia. Bettas can breath oxygen from the atmosphere, which allows them to live in small bowls. Never keep two male Bettas together without a divider, as they will fight (Betta are sometimes called Siamese Fighting Fish)." made for bettas....

And I don't want to get it, but it's cool lookin'. if it were 2 gallons I'd want it xDDD http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...00219#prodTab1

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 10-14-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #6 
Luimeril

they have a 2 gallon version. i've seen it. the pet store i get my bettas from, sometimes has a male in one by the register, set up with rocks and a little plant. just for show, and to display the male for sale.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #7 
Miyazawa

im so jealous you get to go on a betta shopping spree!!!!!! tell me about it later about what you got :D and pictures!!!!!
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #8 
Trobar

Apply for the smart shopper cards at Petsmart and Petco. No credit check or anything, think just phone and address, email optional. You will get the card/key fob at the time of application. They usually have savings that makes it worthwhile. Also both of those chains price match. It has to be exact product and you need proof ie: store ad, have heard a pic on camera phone works, print out from web site, etc
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Oooo =D cool.... yeah I did get 2 containers from walmart (probably 1 gallons.....) for my two beaten up males.... My Shiloh, and today since I was feeling bad I left the other guy behind, who lacks all fins and I mean all but ONE anal fin, I got him too. So those are their quarantine treatment containers WITH lids because it's "not" like we don't have jumpers notpointingfingersorsayingnames -points at Shiloh- SHILOH!!! >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyazawa View Post
im so jealous you get to go on a betta shopping spree!!!!!! tell me about it later about what you got :D and pictures!!!!!
Looool I didn't know I was able to until recently!!! I'm fixed on getting 2 gallon containers (preferably with lids) first, then plants. =D
Old 10-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

I can't answer number 4, but since everyone else has I don't think that matters. :p I will answer your other 3, though.

1. firstly what should you feed bettas for raw, cooked, live, frozen foods? Mealworms seem to be okay but -squirms- I don't wanna chop live things again LOL. yuck. Do they even sell shrimp mainly as food? Or do you have to get a culture starter and such?

Usually you'd make pellets the staple part of the diet, but with plenty of variety. I'm always wary of live foods unless I've grown them myself, because you can't always trust the source. Frozen stuff is generally a pretty good treat. I also used sun-dried shrimp. :) Just make sure you get small packets, because fish food does expire.

2. plants for sorority in 20 gallon: I know I need tall plants... And some medium height plannts. Or a mix of everything!!! And I'm talking live :) preferably potted, or ones I can attach to the bottom one way or another. I do have regular sized gravel, so I have nooo idea if planted plants are okay o_o Names of plants, and hardiness they have, light they need... that'd be awesome :p I've heard names like... sword? banana plant? Whta's the plants you use?

Here are the plants I have experience with and can recommend from my sorority:
- anubias: It attaches to driftwood or terracotta pots (these make great caves). The leaves are wide and flat, so make great hammocks, and are also nice and dense. My girls love playing hide and seek in them. :) Mid-height, very hardy. Mine grows moderately quickly with fertiliser.
- java moss: Interesting carpet plant, great if you want to keep shrimp and don't want them to get eaten. Low-height, very hardy, slow growing.
- java fern: mid-height, easy to propogate, nice for girls to hide in. You tie it on to stuff, don't bury the rizhome. There are a couple of different varieties; I have the basic one. Very hardy. :) I have one bunch just chilling in a corner, and heaps more tied to the top of a driftwood cave.
- lacefern: very pretty, grows really fast and very thickly. It makes a really gorgeous but pretty dense wad. I have one girl who practically lives in it. Bury the roots in the gravel. Very hardy. You will have to trim this one back! Bury the roots of the offcuts to make new plants. :)
- ambulia: lovely and fluffy-looking. Hardy, but susceptible to hair algae. Nice and soft, extremely fast growing. Not as dense and clumpy as lacefern.
- elodea/anacharis: grows like a WEED. It's ridiculous. It's also a really, really hardy plant and is a gorgeous dark green. Trim bits off, stick the new bits in the gravel, and voila, you have another clump of elodea which will also grow like crazy. Gets very tall very quickly. Just a warning: don't use Flourish Excel with it, it will cause it to melt.
I grow all of these very successfully under about 1.5 watts of light per gallon, just an ordinary flourescent tube. I dose Flourish twice weekly, but that's not needed. I have fat gravel, which isn't ideal - normal pea gravel is fine. :)

This should give you a nice, really hardy mix of low-light plants that will grow at different heights. I'm bugging my sister to upload my fish tank photos off her camera, so I can post a picture of the plants in my tank when she does, if you like. :)

3. I'm wondering if I should get some pretty plakat females. To make 100% sure they haven't mislabeled the poor things, what are a few pointers to make sure it's for 1 a female, and for 2, a female? I'll see how docile they are too, one way or another. I will be removing Madame from the sorority, so everyone will be more submissive, and everything will be rearranged to make territory completely for the remaining 4 girlies, so the new ones can be put in.

When they are young it can be pretty hard to tell. Your best bet is to get them from a breeder, of course, but otherwise, your best guide is their gill beards. Females, when they flare, have ickle beards that only go on the sides of their faces, and a tiny tiny bit under their chins. Males have beards that go all the way around the head. In older fish, the ventral and caudal fins are very different, but in juveniles, it's not really a good guide.
Here are some links (sorry if there are stickies for this in this forum, I don't know it well enough yet!):
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/be...our-betta.html
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/be...ale-betta.html

I hope all this helps!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote