Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #21 
Ajones108

Hedgehog, a quick question while you're here then. :p Cories, I have 3 of them for now and as soon as my 30g is established I'm getting two more so they can live happily ever after together. I was wondering, what are the odds that they'll randomly spawn by themselves?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

Bettamiah, just be careful what info you get across :) but I don't think the person's blaming you or anything so it's okay!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #23 
hedgehog

If your cory is four inches like you said then its not a cory its a brochis splendens which are sold as emerald green cories. Actual C. aeneus are sold as green cory catfish. They look similar but have apparent morphological differences. Cories are omnivores and need to be fed shrimp pellets in addition to algae wafers. Cories and Brochis splendens need to be kept in groups of at least four of the same species or else they get depressed. This generally produces abnormal behaviors such as glass surfing to school with their reflection.

If you have any other specific questions or concerns I'll be glad to answer them. I have four happy, healthy C. aeneus in a ten gallon that actually just spawned last night.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

-explains why mine does that- well he was the only one and there still aren't any in!!! >< can you mix cories?? I got an albino cory who is just a wee guy :)
Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #25 
BettaMiah

:/ Now I feel really bad. Mine glass searches SOMETIMES. You see, I can't get any more. I don't have the room.

Usually mine swims with my Goldfish Beau, though. She only sometimes glass surfs.

:/
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #26 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
Hedgehog, a quick question while you're here then. :p Cories, I have 3 of them for now and as soon as my 30g is established I'm getting two more so they can live happily ever after together. I was wondering, what are the odds that they'll randomly spawn by themselves?
Peppered cories probably aren't too difficult to get to spawn if you actually want them to do it but I have some tips about what makes them spawn so you can avoid accidental spawnage. (Note I have C. aeneus which tend to be the easiest to spawn which is why you find them most often in pet stores. Cories spawn in the rainy seasons so the basic stimulus for them to spawn is a drop in water temperature. Generally this would happen when during a water change you pour in water that is colder than the tank temperature. This mimics the rain which drives the spawning instinct. Since my dad doesn't watch the temp of the water when he does changes while I'm at college generally we have spawning once a week. A lot of catfish forums say that to get them to spawn you should keep them in ratios of two males to one female. I have an even ratio and only two of them actual ever spawn so I don't know how true that statement is.

Some anecdotal spawn stories my cories are by a window and last night was chilly which I'm sure is why they spawned. One time we ran out of food so we bought them a new brand which they all refused to eat and when we finally got their preferred food again a week later they spawned the next day. My guess is they were so excited about the abundance of high protein food (my mom overfed because she said they must be super hungry) they thought that would be a good time to have babies. Definitely not how you want the spawn to go since they hadn't eaten in a week. Thankfully the missus got her protein back by munching on the eggies.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Well, that's true. If my female bettas weren't there he'd probably surf around with the nicer fish. which is another reason why I need at least another 2 for him D: that and loads of plants....
Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #28 
BettaMiah

:'( I'm sorry Kia.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #29 
Ajones108

I just bought 3 today (unsure of male or female) and I'll get 2-3 more once my new tank is set up (we didn't have anymore money this week hehe). So we'll probably have a good mix of male and female lol. If they do decide to spawn on me I'm sure they'll just take care of the eggs, and if they don't... well we'll see how many cory babies I end up with XD
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

xD that's about right.