Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #31 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
:/ Now I feel really bad. Mine glass searches SOMETIMES. You see, I can't get any more. I don't have the room.

Usually mine swims with my Goldfish Beau, though. She only sometimes glass surfs.

:/
That's not normal cory behavior. They should only school with cories. I understand how you feel since before I knew better I kept one cory, my favorite little buddy AJ, by himself and he schooled with my betta Hugo and glass surfed a lot. After Hugo died I got him Casper and his behavior dramatically changed. He was less active and only swam at the bottom of the tank like a normal cory. He didn't actively school with Casper but he wouldn't leave her if she chose to sit with him. Now AJ lives with four catfish and he's sort of the leader of my catfish pack. He spawns about every week with Thing 1 and he still hangs out with Casper even though Thing 1 really doesn't like Casper. He sometimes hangs with the Horton the betta but that's more because Horton thinks he's a cory.

I really wish you would have listened to me earlier when I told you about your cory. If you could handle the extra bioload of even one more cory of the same species, which again I really think is a Brochis splendens, that would help with some of the abnormal behaviors and improve the cory's mental and physical state.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #32 
BettaMiah

Kia layed a bunch of eggs. Which beau proceeded to eat.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #33 
Sena Hansler

>< yeah, that would happen. Lol.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #34 
BettaMiah

Alright, I am going to become the most hated member here, but here goes.

Kia is with a Goldfish and a Pleco in a 10 gallon. Overstocked, and mixed with a Colwater fish, I know.

I got beau from my science teacher about a year ago. I didn't know how to care for them at all. Then I got Beau a 3 gallon, then a 10 gallon. After my Oranda died with Beau my dad took me to the pet store and demended PetSmart to give me something that wouldn't die, and they gave me a Cory Catfish and a Pleco. So I can't add anything. I always check the water quality and I have double filtration and everyone seems healthy and happy, but seriosusly, I feel so bad and I can't get a bigger tank. At least not now.

I know, i'm a horrible pet owner.

I will be getting another 3 gallon for Yuuki, though. If you think I can have 2 in there or even 3 I might think about it.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #35 
Sena Hansler

Hey, I have seen people temporarily keep goldies in 10 with extreme upkeeping. It's possible, but for a short time. you know if you can get a bigger tank? and what kind of goldfish??
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #36 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's best to do research first before spouting off information that isn't true.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #37 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
I just bought 3 today (unsure of male or female) and I'll get 2-3 more once my new tank is set up (we didn't have anymore money this week hehe). So we'll probably have a good mix of male and female lol. If they do decide to spawn on me I'm sure they'll just take care of the eggs, and if they don't... well we'll see how many cory babies I end up with XD
If you post pictures later I could sex them for you. It's pretty easy to do once you figure it out. Caring for the cory eggs is actually a lot harder than getting them to spawn lol. My cories always, always eat the eggs that aren't protected by Horton the betta. Horton thinks he's a cory and that he's obviously the daddy of these eggs so he must defend them from his cannibalistic brethren. We picked his name to fit the theme of the tank before we got to know him but he lives up to the Dr. Seuss tale by caring for eggs that aren't even his.

If you actually want the spawn it's generally recommended not to spawn in the community tank because they certainly will get eaten. Either way you either have to remove the eggs or remove the fishes from the spawning tank. The eggs have a tendency to grow fungus especially when they're not fertilized so you have to remove all the white eggs right away so the fungus doesn't spread and breeders tend to get better success when they add methylene blue right after the spawn. Fertilized cory eggs are tan and getter darker as they develop. I think its so they can hide in the sand from the horrible parents lol. They need lots of air pumped in after they hatch because cories are bottom dwellers and they need live food similar to what betta fry eat.

So far we haven't actually done anything to protect the spawn since I'm at college and my parents aren't prepared to deal with lots of cory fry. The first ever spawn they had was easily 150 eggs after they started feasting. Now the spawns are smaller since they've become more frequent. We don't do anything to get rid of the spawns either though. Horton's eggs usually hatch but after that we're pretty sure the catfish eat the fry since we've not seen any yet. Each day my mom counts the catfish though to make sure we don't have anymore than we're supposed to . She's more worried about that than losing a catfish.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #38 
BettaMiah

A common! The worst one I could get. They need 55 gallons.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #39 
vaygirl

Regarding the difference between B. Splendens and C Aeneus: B Splendens have more rays in their dorsal. My four corys were labeled as emerald green but ended up being Bronze corys instead. Their dorsals are smaller.

Brochis Splendens (Emerald Cory Cat)

Corydoras Aeneus (Bronze Cory)

Sorry for hijack Ajones!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #40 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
After my Oranda died with Beau my dad took me to the pet store and demended PetSmart to give me something that wouldn't die, and they gave me a Cory Catfish and a Pleco.

I will be getting another 3 gallon for Yuuki, though. If you think I can have 2 in there or even 3 I might think about it.
Okay so if Kia came from Petsmart she's a C. aeneus and you're actually just overestimating her size. I got thing 1 and Thing 2 from petsmart and they are green cories. The max size is only 2.5 inches for females but they're fat.

Please don't put them in a 3 gallon there is not a large enough footprint for that and with a betta aggression issues may arise. Is there any chance of upgrading the goldfish to a larger tank. Craigslist often has large tanks (30, 40, and 55 gallons are common) for pretty cheap generally with everything included. If the goldfish and pleco move to the bigger tank you could easily keep four C. aeneus in the 10 gallon. Believe me when you have the proper number of fish those suckers are much less active. It's cute though because they do everything together even going to the top for air.

Keeping Kia with a goldfish is probably what caused her to lay eggs. She'll likely do it again too. What do you feed her? I want to make sure she's getting the proper nutrition.