Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #1 
Miyazawa

question about fluorescent light

so i decided to change my minibow 2.5 light bulb (15W incandescent) to a fluorescent light. I know that 1W for fluorescent equals to more incandescent so i don't necessary need like 15W of fluorescent because that's like 60W of incandescent. But is it okay if i put a 15W fluorescent in where i put the 15W incandescent?

one more question: how long should i keep my fluorescent light on when i switch to it, and how many watt should i use for my 2.5 gallons tank because i don't want algae problem

Last edited by Miyazawa; 10-14-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #2 
Micho

The rule of thumb is that for every gallon you should have 2.5 watts. So for a 2.5g tank you should have around 6 watts of lighting, 15 watts might be an overkill.

You can leave fluorescent lighting on for a long periods of time, I leave my own 10 ~ 12 hours per day and I see no problem with heat, or the exploding of light bulbs. :]
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #3 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
The rule of thumb is that for every gallon you should have 2.5 watts. So for a 2.5g tank you should have around 6 watts of lighting, 15 watts might be an overkill.

You can leave fluorescent lighting on for a long periods of time, I leave my own 10 ~ 12 hours per day and I see no problem with heat, or the exploding of light bulbs. :]
but if i can only find 15W fluorescent bulb then can i still plug it in the place where i used to put my 15W incandescent bulb?
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #4 
Micho

If it fits in sure, if it doesn't well you might have to stick with the incandescent bulb. Try going around hardware stores~
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #5 
Scienceluvr8

Yes, you can :) I replaced the incandescent light bulb my minibow came with, for a 15W flourescent from Wal Mart.You should have no problems replacing it :)
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote