Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2011, 02:17 AM   #1 
Ken007

Change of Fin Color Due to Environment?

I have had my betta boy since May, during that time between then and now I have gone from being a "betta in a vase" owner to a "my betta needs everything perfect including a 5 gallon tank" mother. So here's the stats I supose...
Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 76-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? BioWheel
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 Clown Pleco

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bites
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day (2 pellets each)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? half tablespoon of AQ Salt, Betta Water Conditioner, maybe some tetracycline if his fins are a little tattered.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have these new little plastic wheels that sit in the tank for a few months at a time and they are supose to keep a running check on the water for Ammonia and PH.

Ammonia: always Safe (>.02ppm)
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: I think 6.6 (that wheel is always hard to read)
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins are getting a rust red tint...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all, always energetic and exploring his home.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? After I put driftwood in.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Water Changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? previous fin biting and tearing on terrain.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got him from Petco in May.

My idea is that his fins are turning from Black/ Silver to Black/ Red because of the new water tint. His environment consists of a hunk of natural driftwood and 3 Java Fern... a little ceramic bridge and pink gravel. But his fins started to change color after I put the driftwood in and the water got this auburn/ amber tint. With regular water changes the water color has subsided (totally harmless btw, it's just color) that natural (new) tint is always there. BUT I don't want this be some sort of Ammonia burn? that I have been reading about after I became alarmed. His gils are not red, so I have pushed that thought out... and I test for ammonia and it's never been a threat. Thoughtsss? (I attached 2 pictures, the second is of when I got him in May, and the first is from Today).
Attached Images

Ken007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 AM   #2 
Wyvern

There is one thing I have learnt from keeping betta's they change colour :P The reds in your fish is normal colour so no need to worry. It could be the food that you are feeding him is bringing out the red in his fins.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #3 
tsukiowns

to me helooks like a healthy boy... you are doing a great job at keping him and he shows it... I agree with Wyvern... bettas do change colors some colors come out and others subside... keep up the good work he looks spectacular
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #4 
youlovegnats

Color change is normal.

I would stop putting in the AQ salt though unless he has fin rot/ich/or an open wound. Over time, salt can damage the gills and internal organs, and when a real problem arises, the salt won't help because the bacteria have already gotten used to it.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #5 
SnowySurface

I think I like his new coloring more. The red goes well with the black. Snowy has changed colors so many times that it doesn't bother me at all anymore. He was white when I brought him and gave him his name. After a few weeks with me in his old 1 gallon set up, he turned green. Now that he is in his 5 gallon setup, he is turning purple and blue. I just can't keep up with Snowy's coloring anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if I came home one day and notice Snowy turned orange. XD

Your fish will be fine. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #6 
Ken007

That is such a relief! Thanks everyone! That photo also made the red stand out way more than it looks to the naked eye without flash, and I miss his prominant polka dots he use to have... but so long as he's healthy he can change to whatever color he wants!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #7 
bkelizabeth

Your fish is very beautiful, by the way! & I've noticed a slight change in ALL of my bettas after bringing them home :))
bkelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #8 
Ken007

Thank You! hehe I love that you have all female bettas, they are so overlooked :/ When Knight Rider passes (in a bajillion years) I think I would get a girl :)
Old 10-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #9 
Thunderloon

Cold water suppresses the blood flow colors, like how the girls can go stripey on from environment.

I actually have one tank where the girl sits on top of the heater all the time and is a brilliant brick red but when she swims away she starts looking like a cambodian.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

Some bettas change colors quite a bit..I bought a white little guy and he is now completely black..and a few months later he is now getting a little orange on him too...:D
His name "Panda" isn't quite fitting anymore. haha
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote