Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #1 
Fieldz

Unhappy Overnight red fins

Well, I think my betta is a tailbitter. Yesterday he was normal, but when I woke up today I saw his upper fin has some bloody patches. It looks like he got bored at night and started to bite himself for fun, so the fins inflamed, and now are red. I am doing 100% water changes everyday in a 1gal tank and using an anti bact and fungal medicament.

I dont think it could be finrot overnight, because there are is no black anywhere in his body, just some red at the tip of his fins.

Is this treatment I am doing fine?
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #2 
Myates

Were there pieces missing from his fins, where the red patches were? If so then yes, he could of bitten his fin. If not, it could be the beginning of Septicemia and you will have to look for other signs such as lethargy, loss of apetite, clamped, gasping for air, bloated, ulcers.

You definitely don't want to add in medication as it won't help since he doesn't have an infection, and the medicine can cause more harm then good if it's not in for the treatment it specifies.

I would suggest either just clean water with your regular water conditioner, upping the water changes to 2 50% and 1 100% per week for a week or two. Or if you don't feel comfortable with that you could do the salt treatment.
1 teaspoon of AQ salt (pre-dissolve before adding it with him) per 1 gallon, along with water conditioner, 100% daily water changes for no more then 10 days. That may help prevent an infection... but the best prevention is clean water (the added water change).

Also, is your tank heated? As drops in temps (like over night) can cause Septicemia.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #3 
Fieldz

Yes, many pieces of fins missing ( exactly like his mouth format... strange, no? ).

Tomorrow I will change the water and wont add meds anymore. I read that 100% water changes everyday without meds with stress coat will help his fins regrouth and that what happenned to my betta is normal and easily curable.

Thanks!
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #4 
Myates

Yup, you are correct. If you do the daily 100% water changes, don't do them for longer then a week I'd suggest, as water can be too clean as well as cause undue extra stress. After that just possibly up the % of water you change a small fraction for a few weeks.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote