Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #1 
Gen2387

Question Water change questions!

Ooooook! So I have a new 5 gallon and the last time I had a Betta was YEARS ago. My tanks is ready for my new little Betta, I'm getting him in a couple of days. All the water chemicals are fine and the temperature is perfect. So my questions:
1-Is it okay if I do a 50% water change a week?
2-How often should I do a big cleaning and do 100% water change?
3- When I do my 50%, what technique do you usually use to clean the rocks at the bottom? I heard about a siphon but I can't find any at my local petstore, should I get one at LFS?

That's about it, if you guys have a good cleaning routine to give me i'd be really happy!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #2 
Micho

I wouldn't recommend 50% and higher water changes as they might crash your nitrogen cycle. Splitting two 25% water changes every week is a better option. Never do a "big cleaning", again, you don't want to crash your cycle. Yes you should grab a gravel vacuum, removes all the poop/leftover food that has sunk down to the bottom of the tank.

25% just pure water change and 25% with gravel vacuum should be a good schedule for you.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #3 
Gen2387

Thank you very much, I have one last question. My tank came with a Marina Slim Filter S10. I can adjust the flow strenght of the filter. I know Bettas are usually found in pounds with little to no current. Should I adjust the filter to the minimum setting? I'm just scared it won't filter enough. Lol! Am I crazy?
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #4 
Micho

Yep just set it to minimum output, or you could set it to maximum and baffle it, it's up to your choice, the filter will still do it's job but just less gallons per hour.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #5 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
I heard about a siphon but I can't find any at my local petstore, should I get one at LFS?
Siphons are awesome for water changes. They make it so much easier and get the tank cleaner than just scooping or pouring out water. If you can't find one at the pet store or LFS, check walmart if you have one. They usually have them.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote