Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #31 
Myates

Umm.. they don't get pregnant like that, and you should NOT keep a male and female together. Period. It takes hundreds of dollars, multiple large tanks, weeks of preparing and conditioning to even think about breeding bettas. They aren't live bearers, but lay eggs in bubble nests.
But I can't strain this enough.. do not keep the male and female in the same tank without a divider. You will have a dead fish if you do.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #32 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Umm.. they don't get pregnant like that, and you should NOT keep a male and female together. Period. It takes hundreds of dollars, multiple large tanks, weeks of preparing and conditioning to even think about breeding bettas. They aren't live bearers, but lay eggs in bubble nests.
But I can't strain this enough.. do not keep the male and female in the same tank without a divider. You will have a dead fish if you do.
+1^^

You are being given lots of great advise here. If you choose to ignore and place your bettas together with no knowledge (you don't even know HOW they breed apparently) then do NOT expect ANY respect. You are purposely looking to kill your fish. Breeding takes a lot of time and money. I pay rent, my own bills, have two kids and 8 fish tanks... and I cannot afford to run out and breed bettas. If you cannot afford a tank for your female, you have no business breeding. Please, keep your bettas separate, rehome those goldfish and do not get any more fish until you have done your research.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #33 
dramaqueen
Banned

Um, I'm confuzzled. I thought we were talking about goldfish?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #34 
Myates

lol.. the OP has a 10 gallon with 4 goldfish and a male betta in it. She wants to put a female betta in it to breed them. We were discussing the reasoning behind why a 10 gal is not suitable for comet and common goldfish.. then she made the comment about what if the female got pregnant. (Who is in a half gallon currently) And so we replied to that statement lol. It is a confusing mess =P
Old 10-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #35 
dramaqueen
Banned

You mean the female betta, right?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #36 
Pitluvs

Dont forget the platys in the 10g too.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #37 
StarBetta

no no no. Its not me who wants to put the female in, its my mom. I keep telling her no and I won't let her put the female in the 10 gallon.
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #38 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
You mean the female betta, right?
The female is in a half gallon, the male in the 10 with the goldfish and the platys, and she mentioned adding in the female with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBetta View Post
no no no. Its not me who wants to put the female in, its my mom. I keep telling her no and I won't let her put the female in the 10 gallon.
Ah.. yeah, don't let her. If you are able to rehome the other other fish, and leave just the male there, you can buy or make your own dividers. Can put 3-4 bettas in your 10 gallon with dividers. That way it's one tank, one heater, one filter = less to clean, more bettas, and cheaper then buying individual tanks if you ever want to get more! A divider would most likely be cheaper to make/buy then a larger tank for the girl.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #39 
fishy friend2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
My mom did. She said when the time comes we'll confront my dad and be like 'Look, he is getting to big for that tank, and _______ offered her a free 55 gallon.'

Sp it will happen. I'd say I have about a year until that comes, though. Beau is about 2.5 inches, maybe 3. But gosh has he been growing fast! Thats good though.
They grow really, really. Really fast I had one for 6 to 9 months and he get 7 to 8 inches long in that short amount of time, I named him sushi. I'd be pretty scared to eat sushi that big
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #40 
StarBetta

what temperature do those goldfish have to be in? I put them in a seperate tank with about 70 degrees. is that too hot? or should i make it colder?
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote