Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #1 
purplemuffin

Where can I learn about snails?

I'm very interested in them right now. I'd like to find a website(or a few) that has sizes, care, how often they breed(if they are known for controlling their own population or if they get out of control), which ones eat plants and which ones will only eat decaying matter, and things like that.

I'm interested in them for a few reasons...First, the idea for the tank with mostly food for bettas(daphnia, etc.) would be nice to have some snails to pick up the food they don't eat, as well as be the 'pet' for the enclosure. I really am liking having well planted tanks, and sort of want to have fishless planted tanks in the future, maybe having some snails and/or shrimp in there. In one of those, I've heard there are snails that reproduce, but only enough to match the amount of food they get, so they find a balance and don't get out of hand. I'm also interested in one day owning a blue tongue skink and a caiman lizard. Both of these lizards love getting snails as treats to help give them calcium, caiman lizards actually eat mostly snails in the wild, and it would be great to breed my own as feeders. I could be sure they are healthy and clean as I do not trust buying them straight from a petstore that has enough trouble with most of their animals. I figure this would be perfect for those species that breed in out of control numbers that people generally cull anyway. Plus, some of these snails are really pretty and as I can see from my five gallon, the light seems to be enough to get a lot of algae, so I figure it would be nice to get something to take advantage of the 'food' that's naturally growing!

I like the idea of having a supply of snails rather than just one. The line could continue on, instead of having to replace my one every time it dies.

So yeah, if there isn't really a good information website on snails, could you list any of the species you know so I could maybe look them up myself?

thanks!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #2 
kathstew

http://www.applesnail.net/
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote