Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #201 
Pataflafla

I'd say the two new girls are less than 5 months old. They're itty bitty. The three established girls are on the rather large end of the female scale. They are about 3/4 the size of a female king (basing off the once alpha Tokyo who was killed by a cat).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:13 AM   #202 
Aquarianblue

Hello everyone,

I was wanting to start a sorority of bettas. I always thought it would be cool to have a small, community with a sorority. I've heard the horror stories to. At least a few. So I was wondering. Is it best to get siblings from a breeder, like I am kind of planning, or does them being siblings not really stop aggression?
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #203 
Silverfang

It helps, but it won't stop all the aggression. I got five from an established tank with all the remaining girls from three spawns. Despite having lived together for months, when it was just the 5 of them (well six since I added a new one). Leadership was up for grabs. Not surprisingly the largest one claimed her place at the top of the totem pole. They will nip each other, and she will steal the lions share of food. So it doesn't completely negate aggression. BUT it does greatly lessen it.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #204 
Aquarianblue

That's good to know. I know someone on this site who is going to spawn soon, and I was gonna ask her about some siblings females for my sorority, as well as a sibling breeding pair. If that helps negate a good portion of the fighting, I'd rather wait, then buy females that don't know each other. My second question. say I had 6-8 siblings together. and I added two 'outsiders' female bettas. Would the siblings gang up on them?
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #205 
Silverfang

That would depend on a few things. Like how long had they been together, did you rearrange the tank, and how aggressive are they. I haven't added any new females yet, I'm giving them more time before I do that.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #206 
Silverfang

Hmmmm... are my girls trying to tell me something? http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/Elis77/002.jpg
Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #207 
slonline

I wanna add that siblings CAN live together, MALES and FEMALES, for a long long long time These guys and gals are 5 month old HMPKs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo5ypYuLUzs
slonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #208 
Sarahlydear

Just wanted to say that I recently started my own sorority and this helped a lot. Now I have a lovely tank and I absolutely adore it! :) Thanks!!
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #209 
thrsanne

Hey guys! Sorry if this question has already been asked, but does the shape of the tank matter? I have a 16g tank in my basement that isn't occupied, and was wondering if I can use it to start up a sorority. It's like one of those semi-circle tanks. Haha, thank you, it's a silly question, but I just want to be sure. XD
thrsanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #210 
GienahClarette

Just so you guys know, I've had a lot of success using girls that came RIGHT from the growout in sister-sibling pairs. (4 pairs of 2 girls) My sorority is almost eerily peaceful aside from a little chasing from the alpha female. But, she's too fat and slow to catch and hurt they other girls.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote