Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #1 
thePWNISHER

Epsom Salt

Searching for epsom salt info is near impossible seems like every other thread in the hospital section mentions it and they all show up when you search.

Anyways I was just wondering If I have live plants and invertabrates can I had epsom salt directly to my 10g or do I have to remove my betta for bloating treatment?

Also are there any dangerous side effects from major bloating? My guy seems more lethargic since I woke up this morning but he is really bloated. I think because the glofish weren't eating their flakes yesterday so he had seconds at dinnertime.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Epsom salt is good for plants as it is a fertilizer. I am unsure with invertebrates, but have used it in my 10 gal sorority with ghost shrimp, all of which made it through just fine, so I think it should be ok to use with any shrimps. I don't know about snails though.

For major bloating, there could be internal issues if left untreated or exacerbated by continuing to feed. I think it would be best to just qt your betta for epsom salt treatments so you know that he is not eating anything he shouldn't be, namely the glofish flakes.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #3 
Myates

You will need to do daily water changes while treating bloating/SBD, so it would be easier to put him in a QT tank.

Major bloating could cause swim bladder disease.. so yes, it should be taken care of.
Fast him for 1-2 days, use 1 tsp per gallon of Epsom, daily 100% water changes for about 2-3 days past the last time you seen him bloated.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote