Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #31 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have always let mine die on their own. I'm afraid of doing something wrong and end up making things worse.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #32 
Leeniex

I never had to do it with a fish...they do a good job of it on their own. ;)

And I make my 15 year old bury them in the woods. I don't handle death well, even at my age.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #33 
carzz

I think that what ever the owner does fortheir baby is best. Everyone of here is the momma/ or daddy to one (or more) magnificent fish. If you have the heart to put them down, then good. But if not, it's not like they love their fish any less. So is either one worse? No, both sides are
Just being the best possible parent.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #34 
Punki

Very much so, as long as they have a loving caring life, how they go is much less important in my mind. Try every treatment, give them as much attention as possible, love them when they are here, help the best you can, and miss them when they move on and your a wonderful owner :) I really think the lsight debate started simply because of the wording of this threads title "kill my fish" sounds cruel and not very heartfelt but i doubt it was meant that way. All of n this thread are very special to one or more little fishy friends out there and im sure they understand whatever choice we make.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #35 
SnowySurface

Oops....I didn't think my comment would derail the thread this much I just didn't want the OP to feel like he was murdering his fish. T_T

Since Princebetta doesn't want to kill his fish himself with a hammer (which is fine) and has no clove oil, then that doesn't leave many options. There are vets who will help a fish owner put down a dying fish humanely. If the OP is near an aquatic vet, then that is a possibility. Since I'm not near a vet who cares for fish, then I would probably call my Dad and ask if he has time to smash my fish with a hammer. If Princebetta does have a relative who would help him, then that would be the best bet. Especially since the relative can also give emotional support berfore, during, and after.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #36 
Sena Hansler

Very true. That's a good idea :) I wasn't sure about the freezing method - but guess it does work for those who hibernate, like the goldfish - sometimes though, it'll end up being a method (I wonder if they did tests about what ways were the best and less painful for bettas?) for some people... But yeah if you could've gotten a family member or something it'd be best
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #37 
Gizmothefreaky

I dont keep clove oil either, but most kitchens have whole cloves for cooking, yes? What i do is make a sort of very strong tea out of the cloves, wait for it to cool down to room temp, and them put the fish in that.

Once the fish is completely asleep/paralyzed what have you, i then take a cup of near boiling water (it comes out of my tap like this, you may have to put it in the microwave to get it like that) and then very gently scoop the fish from the clove 'tea' and drop it in the hot water. Death is instant, and they dont feel a thing because of the cloves.

If you cannot do this yourself, ask a relative to do it, just set everything up for them, and make sure they know how to tell that the betta is completely asleep/paralyzed.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #38 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
I never had to do it with a fish...they do a good job of it on their own. ;)

Mine too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #39 
Silverfang

I had a very sick girl, no clove oil, I felt so guilty, but I just couldn't do any of the other methods for euthanizing.

It's understandable to want to put them out of their misery, and even more understandable to not have the heart to do something like that.

RIP in a place with warm water, all the plants to hide in and bloodworms you can gobble lost fishies.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote