Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #11 
RobotFrog

When I went to petco for my first betta, an employee saw me browsing and approached me with one of those .5g marina squares. She said I could keep one male or 2 females it in and I'd only need to change the water every 2 weeks. I pointed to the 2.5 gallon in my cart and said that was for ONE fish, and she looked at me like I was crazy <.< "What?! They don't need heaters, just keep the bowl in the sun!" ....I just walked away.

I've also heard "You can keep red-eared sliders in a cage as long as theres a little dish of water."

I also HATE how they don't sell rats in pairs. They're pretty much tied with betta as my 2nd favorite pet (I'm a crazy cat lady). Very VERY rarely are they happy alone. It kills me that my boy Max has no playmates but he cannot stand other rats. He's a mush with people and spends alot of his day outside of the cage, but put another rat in his sight and he turns into a tasmanian devil. I've never seen anything like him lol
RobotFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:52 AM   #12 
Bombalurina

Ditto on the rats in pairs thing! When I adopted my little Willoughby from the RSPCA he'd been kept alone and his behaviour was really wierd. It still is a bit, but his absolute joy at having cagemates to groom, abuse, chase, play with and annoy is so obvious. :) He's become much better with humans now, too - he'll let me hold him on his back and kiss the little black spot on his perfect white belly now. :D
A lonely rat is a sad rat, unless they are an oddball like your Max.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

"we can not allow you to pick up the chinchilla because if you ever touch their fur, they will die"

and

if you keep the filter on, you NEVER need to change water

and

of you want to breed bettas, you need to put a male in a small tank with at least three females so he can choose the one he wants to mate with.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #14 
Littlebittyfish

I wastold dragon gobies only get 6" long and are perfectly fine with a betta. lol
Also, They had a betta in the dragon goby display tank..with some other fish as well...none of those fish looked very happy.

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 10-17-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #15 
mjoy79

"Bettas dont need heaters" - Petco employee
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #16 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
"we can not allow you to pick up the chinchilla because if you ever touch their fur, they will die"

and

if you keep the filter on, you NEVER need to change water

and

of you want to breed bettas, you need to put a male in a small tank with at least three females so he can choose the one he wants to mate with.

O M G
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard that rats CAN be kept alone as long as you handle them a lot and give them lots of attention.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #18 
betta dude

at walmart they say feed bettas twice a week and if you put girls with boys in the same tank the wont fight
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #19 
vaygirl

When I bought the 16 gallon for Tango, I was told that a goldfish would be a great companion for him. O.O
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #20 
BettaMiah

Pretty darn much everything they have told me. Yes, even 'hello' was wrong.

But one thing that still irks me is this:

So here I am, getting a Budgie for my Birthday, and the person helps me with all I need. They recommend SEED (They need pellets), give me a way to small cage, and only give me plastic dowel perches.

If you own birds, you understand the problem in all of that.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote