Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #1 
xGrumpyxFyrenx

My betta is overweight...

He's in a 10g tank with 6 neon tetras and 2 ghost shrimp. They all have the same food therefore I just feed them all at the same time. But Fyren (betta) has started to get WAY overweight. I've cut back on the amount of food I put in but I don't want to put in too little. Whenever I put it in, he's always right there and eats most of it. Any suggestion??
xGrumpyxFyrenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #2 
missm83

i feel your pain..i think my boy is getting to be a fatty too...but i only have him and a ghost shrimp...so i guess its my fault...im trying to cut down on his food no matter how much he begs
goodluck with your boy...hey better chubby then too skinny
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 
mjoy79

What kind of food do you feed them? I got a suggestion awhile back when i accidentally overfed my sorority bloodworms. Someone suggested using tweezers and individually placing food in front of a fish. Not sure if it would work for your situation. But yeah - bettas are pigs and they will eat themselves to death. They don't know when they're full. You might try fasting him for a day or two to see if he can get rid of some excess weight :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #4 
xGrumpyxFyrenx

The hardest part about fasting is I'm not sure how it will affect my other fish.
xGrumpyxFyrenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #5 
Myates

Your tetras should be fine for a day or two.
I wish I had answers to how to feed them separately, but I don't put my bettas in a community so never had to deal with that. I would say maybe if you can two-hand feed, entice him to go to one side of the tank and drop in the food right over him and while doing so, put just enough of the food on the other side for your tetras.

If feeding flakes, you may want to presoak them for a few seconds prior to feeding, sometimes they can cause bloating.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I have a girl who is absolutely massive. She's being fasted at lunch time by netting her while feeding the others, she's reeeeeeaally not happy. but it works.

Shes' so big I'm gonna yank her out when one of my QT tanks opens up and use epsom salt, she's big enough I worry.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #7 
sarahbeth1976

I feed my boy pellets & on occassion, bloodworms. I place them in his tank individually & wait till he eats each piece before feeding him another one.
sarahbeth1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #8 
gbose

GrumpyFX,

You should probably feed ALL your fish less than 7 times/week. Many fish-keepers recommend fasting them one day every week.

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbose View Post
GrumpyFX,

You should probably feed ALL your fish less than 7 times/week. Many fish-keepers recommend fasting them one day every week.

GB
I agree.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote