Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #1 
dlite

Help me stock my 29g

I am currently housing a male betta and a baby feeder goldfish(needs a new home) in 29g tank. Filter capacity wise it has a TopFin30(Biomedia rings, no filter pad) and Penguin200, both have home-made baffles installed.

I bought the betta yesterday and I've noticed that he eats really well, does not flare towards the goldfish tank-mate and loves his own reflection. I am will be making a BigAls run later on today and I would love some suggestions on peaceful tank mates for my betta that won't nip at his tail(his feeder fish tank-mate)
dlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #2 
Fermin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlite View Post
I am currently housing a male betta and a baby feeder goldfish(needs a new home) in 29g tank. Filter capacity wise it has a TopFin30(Biomedia rings, no filter pad) and Penguin200, both have home-made baffles installed.

I bought the betta yesterday and I've noticed that he eats really well, does not flare towards the goldfish tank-mate and loves his own reflection. I am will be making a BigAls run later on today and I would love some suggestions on peaceful tank mates for my betta that won't nip at his tail(his feeder fish tank-mate)
Hi there. Can you clarify? Will the goldfish keep the 29g for himself and you'll buy a new tank for your betta? The reason I'm asking is that bettas and goldfish require different aquatic conditions, so if you're making a shopping trip now, you should probably give the goldfish the larger tank and buy a second tank for your betta.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #3 
hedgehog

Exactly what Fermin said. Goldfish are coldwater fish while bettas are tropical. If you keep them together either one or both would truly be uncomfortable with the water temperature. It would be best to get the betta his own tank. If you want to keep other fish in the new betta tank it would need to be at least 10 gallons. Then you could keep cories or platies or some other small school of fish.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #4 
dlite

Well I went to the fs and brough back the goldfish and brought home 17 neon tetras(9 baby/tiny & 8 medium sized). The betta has shown curiosity the very first encounter with the tetras but has since ignored them. Its really fun watching the tetras shoal together or split up in 2 groups depending on size as they explore the lower half of the tank, the betta only visits the bottom once in a while to do his patrols or when he isn't trying to catch a glimpse of his reflection on the water bottle baffle. Trying to feed 17 of these very timid neon tetras seems to be a huge chore but I am glad the betta ignores the tropical flakes I try to sink for the tetras so that is a plus.

Am I still able to stock my tank further without putting too much stress on my bio load etc.?

Last edited by dlite; 10-16-2011 at 07:10 PM.
dlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #5 
SmokeNLark

Just be careful and keep an eye on them, neons tend to be fin nippers.

You should still have some room left. I'd suggest cory cats. I've got a 29 with a betta. I've also got 4 peppered cories (gonna get a few more) and 12 platys. It makes for a nice, active, colorful, peaceful tank. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote