Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #41 
Sena Hansler

On my 3 gallon tank it says: suitable for tetra, danios, goldfish, betta

On my 2 gallon bowl: can fit 2 1.5 inch goldfish

On my 3.47 gallon tank it said: goldfish starter kit! can fit 3 1.5 inch goldfish

Girl at pet store: all your fish will die unless you buy ich medication. (-uses AQ salt and heat. all fish lived- hmmm)
Girl at pet store: "oh, you don't need that tank for bettas they're happy in a cup this size" -picks up starbucks coffee cup, medium size- (doesn't have a gun... xD)
Girl at pet store told my friend: "okay how many danios do you want? 4? you can only have 2."
Girl at pet store: had put my Shiloh in with cichlids, and my Reggie in with rosy barbs. I rescued them.
Owner from pet store: gives pretty decent information, even if some is a little off.
hmmm...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #42 
LaLaLeyla

People at my petstore are pretty good at advice
But they always try to steer me away from buying bigger tanks for my bettas.
Kind of annoying :I
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #43 
BettaGirl290

o__o

mine is:

" Just feed your betta two times a week with flakes, and you can feed them bloodworms all the other days." well i told her that info was backwards, but she didn't want to take it from a 10 yr. old o.o
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #44 
LaLaLeyla

lolwhat XD

Oh I also remember going to a LPS and asking what kind of medicine they had for bettas? ( After I told him mine had fin rot)

He said " Oh bettas will get rid of the disease himself. Try not to clean his tank out it will stress him out"
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #45 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
On my 3 gallon tank it says: suitable for tetra, danios, goldfish, betta

On my 2 gallon bowl: can fit 2 1.5 inch goldfish

On my 3.47 gallon tank it said: goldfish starter kit! can fit 3 1.5 inch goldfish
I have a filtered tetra 1.8 gallon bowl, that I don't use now, (it was for my betta before I realized it was a bit small and the filter would drive him insane) the box says its suitable for:

Cold water: -_-" bettas, goldfish

Warm water: neon tetras, guppies

It kills me by how many fish are targeted as suitable for little bowls.

Unless it was at a pet store that actually cared more about the animals than making a sale, I think I'd end up getting fired for arguing with customers about appropriate tank size...It seems there is no pet store that would turn away a customer by telling them that the half gallon bowl they're buying isn't good for a bettta.

Last edited by ksage505; 10-18-2011 at 12:04 PM.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #46 
Sena Hansler

lol I use one and two gallons, but the one gallons are mainly medication containers (like for fin rot, or something, using AQ or EP 1 tsp per gallon method, every day cleaning :) )

And geesh if I owned a pet/fish store, I'd not even sell bowls. Don't care if people would say "make money that way" I don't care lol. I've already told my friend the two danios she got would not fit in a 1.5 gallon, especially with a betta. So I am making her cycle her 10 gallon tank :p then she can have 2 more, and a betta, with hiding spots.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #47 
purplemuffin

Bowls just do a lot of yucky things. My RA in my dorm had a 1 gallon bowl with ten glofish in it. Worst part:

I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THERE WERE FISH IN THE BOWL. It was that dirty. Until one of them started swimming against the edge I was able to see how many fish were in that foggy mess.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #48 
Sena Hansler

eeewww D: ten....wait ten fish??? how'd they live?? o_O I mean all my containers that are 1-1.5 gallons is every day clean. 2-3 gallons every other day clean. 5 gallons every three days, and 10 and up is basically water changes every week.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #49 
purplemuffin

Yeah, I doubt they lived very long. It was the first week of school. She just liked the idea of a bunch of rainbow colored fish in her little bowl.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #50 
ksage505

They do look pretty in the bowls, but its so awful! Without an air pump or a filter can fish like those even get enough oxygen to live in a bowl anyway?!
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote