Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #1 
purplemuffin

Getting good lighting in 5g hooded tank

So, I have the walmart 5 gallon tank that came with the hood, light, heater, etc. and all that. But I'd like to get a little more light in my tank! The hood says that it will hold max 15 watts and that's what I have in there, but it's still very dark. I'd like to be able to have different plants in there.

Should I invest in a different top and use a desk light? They had a bright aquarium light at the store, but it was 80 dollars he basically said I was better off buying a whole new tank for that price haha, which I agree with.

I have the tank on my desk and the lamp on my desk is bright and sits in front of him, but it still doesn't light all the plants very well.

Oh yeah, I bought more plants for my birthday :D Five java ferns(he gave me 2 free ones when I paid for only 3) and some java moss(which I need to find a place where I want it to go) because those were the only low light plants available for my amount of light.

Anyway. What would you do to light the tank? Is it worth it, or are my plants pretty much fine? I would like more variety, but I'm okay with just these.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #2 
Micho

The lighting is actually sufficient for your tank, for every gallon 2.5 watts for lighting is recommended, seeing how it's a 5g (5 x 2.5 = 12.5). Just make sure the light is 6500k or around that.

Your plants are low-light plants, java fern will actually turn black if there's too much light. Java moss just tie it on any decor you want with sewing string, or fishing ling, any thin string.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #3 
purplemuffin

Ah, alright! Still learning the whole aquarium plant thing. :) It just looks like it's dark in there, but I guess that's okay. Nevermind then! :)

Anyway, been setting up the main tank so Dionysus will have more plants to hide in

There is another piece of driftwood I have been soaking but it just will NOT sink! Hoping it will start sinking soon! Want to give him more plants near the surface.

What are some other low light plants that would work? This was all they had at the store, but I know I can still get some online. I'd like to have a pretty stocked tank as far as plants go. I'm hoping these will grow in and fill up the tank pretty well though.

Last edited by purplemuffin; 10-18-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #4 
Micho

Well what type of light is it?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #5 
purplemuffin

Incandescent :/ It's what came with the tank. It's a weird shape too.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #6 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
Incandescent :/ It's what came with the tank. It's a weird shape too.
Now the problem with incandescent lighting is that it's inefficient, it'll heat your water if left on for hours, and it produces more heat than light. Also plants hate that light, try to replace the bulb with a fluorescent one! Preferably 6500k for best plant growth, plus it'll make your tank look better.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #7 
purplemuffin

They didn't have any the right size at our aquarium store--I'm nervous about buying one online. It's a small lightbulb, kind of tube shaped. And there is a plastic guard that blocks most other lightbulb shapes.

I guess I could just risk getting one that doesn't fit on amazon?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #8 
Micho

Try your hardware stores if it doesn't fit just take it back to return it!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #9 
Princess Penny

I would just get a 6500K CFL bulb from Wal-mart, put it into a desk lamp, and use that instead of the hood.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #10 
roubidoux

I have that same tank from WalMart--they have 6500K bulbs in their fish dept.
roubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote