Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #1 
bkelizabeth

Arrow Temps....?

So, the ideal temperature for betta is somewhere between 75 and 82 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm confused though. Many pet stores leave their bettas in colder temps, ...probably more around 70. Can bettas survive in 70 degree water (for extended periods of time)? I know there are SO many other factors in keeping bettas healthy and happy... but does anyone keep their bettas under that 75 degree mark? I know some people don't use heaters.. (they can be a little expensive) so I'm just wondering. I have a new betta in a small tank right now, and it's too small for a heater. I'm going to be moving her into a heated tank in the next few days. But, I'm just curious, Thanks :D
bkelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #2 
Micho

No, no, no, no!

Bettas are tropical fish! Sorry if I'm coming off rude, but 70F is too cold for a Betta! Cold water leads to lethargy, declining immune system, and much more. How small is the tank? If it's a 1 gallon and up the Elite Mini Submersible 25 watt heater can heat it just fine.

But yeah, it's like sticking a person into a freezer and making them live there with just regular clothes. They'll probably get sick and eventually die.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #3 
BellasMomma

78 degrees is the perfect temp for yer Betta. when my Betta was in a bowl for a bit before i got a big heated tank i used a lamp over her and checked the temp of the water about 3 times a day to make sure it didnt get too hot.
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #4 
bkelizabeth

I'm not supporting 70 degree water in any way!!!! Haha, I was DEFINITELY just curious :p... and yess bella, that's what I'm doing right now! It's way too stressful.. I worry too much. I can't wait to move her into a tank with a heater so the heater can do the monitoring :P
Old 10-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #5 
bkelizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
No, no, no, no!

Bettas are tropical fish! Sorry if I'm coming off rude, but 70F is too cold for a Betta! Cold water leads to lethargy, declining immune system, and much more. How small is the tank? If it's a 1 gallon and up the Elite Mini Submersible 25 watt heater can heat it just fine.

But yeah, it's like sticking a person into a freezer and making them live there with just regular clothes. They'll probably get sick and eventually die.
And BTW, thanks! I did NOT know that there was a heater out there for 1 gal tanks..... hmmmmmmm. I might need one in the near future :) thanks