Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 03:13 AM   #11 
alysalouise

Awe :( im so sorry GreenTea :/ Have you tried doing salt treatments?
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:28 AM   #12 
Pataflafla

I would suggest the clove oil method as well, but be sure to use something disposable for mixing the clove oil with tank water and for dosing your boy in. I still haven't managed to get the clove oil out of the .5 gallon tank I used to euthanize Hester over a month ago. Now I use 2 betta cups specifically designated for euthanasia.

I'm sorry it's come to this though. I just had to put Toad down yesterday despite his best efforts to beat his illness.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #13 
GreenTea

Yeah I tried to post earlier but I guess it didn't work.

Thanks for the support everyone. Welcome to the forum Gem...are you the one who puts down the animals? What does your job entail? Just curious.

I think I will use the vet or clove oil method. Yeah I've had him in a 1.75 gal with IAL and 1/2 dose of aq salt on occasion to try and help his scales grow back. I first did the full salt treatment for 10 days with zero improvement. He also somehow keeps getting like little rips in his tail, like its just uh, lost it's thickness? I don't know how to explain it exactly.

He had some suicide attempts and managed to jump a divider and get into a fight with another male, so I think he's had some incidents that have copromised his health long term. He was also the biggest plakat I at petco, which I now know to meant he was at least 1 year old when I got him. I've had him for about a year, so I think it's just his time. I've decided I'm just going to try to keep him comfortable, and if he is unable to eat or reach the surface I'll either take him to the vet or use the clove oil method. The worst part is the look on his face when I come over :(
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #14 
alysalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post

Thanks for the support everyone. Welcome to the forum Gem...are you the one who puts down the animals? What does your job entail? Just curious.

I think I will use the vet or clove oil method. Yeah I've had him in a 1.75 gal with IAL and 1/2 dose of aq salt on occasion to try and help his scales grow back. I first did the full salt treatment for 10 days with zero improvement. He also somehow keeps getting like little rips in his tail, like its just uh, lost it's thickness? I don't know how to explain it exactly.

He had some suicide attempts and managed to jump a divider and get into a fight with another male, so I think he's had some incidents that have copromised his health long term. He was also the biggest plakat I at petco, which I now know to meant he was at least 1 year old when I got him. I've had him for about a year, so I think it's just his time. I've decided I'm just going to try to keep him comfortable, and if he is unable to eat or reach the surface I'll either take him to the vet or use the clove oil method. The worst part is the look on his face when I come over :(

I bet it is :( sometimes i just wish life was a fairytale where nothing ever dyes, or gets sick or hurt. Im going through something similar, Old age just get to things and there is sometimes nothing we can do but put them out of their misery
The clove oil is the most hummane way to go with doing it at home
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #15 
Gen2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post

Hey, again sorry about your fishy friend. You asked about my job. An Animal Health Technician is pretty much the equivalent of a nurse but for animals. I take care of hospitalized animals, assist the vet in surgery and sadly (but it is part of the job) assist on all euthanasias. Perform blood draws, urinalysis, assist the vet in consultations, x-rays...etc. I've studied 3 years in college in the Animal Health program. It's a very fulfilling job.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #16 
thecoinbox

Humane euthanasia

Months ago Barney was in dire straits and the decision had to be made.

In a small tank or bowl of water, add a couple teaspoons of baking soda. Mix well.

Put your fish in the bowl.

The baking soda will remove all oxygen from the water.

Your fish will not suffer or thrash about.

Very peaceful and extremely humane.
thecoinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #17 
GawfFish

But bettas can breathe *air.*
GawfFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #18 
thecoinbox

I hate to say this but "trust me, it works".
thecoinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #19 
newarkhiphop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
GreenTea, obviously if treatment isn't going well then it can be heart wrenching to see our little friends in pain or what we perceive as painful. Iím not against euthanasia Ė it is better than suffering, but it really should be a last resort.

The two options that are the most humane are:

1. Placing him/her into a 1g tank or cup. Then pouring clove oil to put them to sleep. Once asleep, pour hard liquor into the water (vodka will suffice). This is basically going to sleep and not waking up.
2. With a wet towel or cloth wrap him/her in it, minimal stress, then with a wide blunt heavy object bring it down onto the head area with force. Instant, no pain.

Both options are very hard to bring oneself to do. As we donít really know with certainty if pain is involved or if a recovery is possible. If you want to grip onto hope as tightly as you can, make him as comfortable as possible with clean water, conditioner, tannins and if possible food. It may take a long time to pass, but he may also heal.

Itís a hard decision, and unfortunately you do have to make it. If you are 100% certain that treatment wonít succeed any further, then either euthanasia or just making him comfortable is your best option.

Sorry I cant be of more assistance.

newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

I assume you're talking about the blunt force method? I've done it, and honestly, my fish was less stressed than when I used the clove oil method.

If you wrap them up in a damp tee-shirt or cloth beforehand, they remain calm and don't thrash about.

Then you just have to give one well-placed hit and they are instantly dead. There is no twitching, no gasping, no nothing.

While the clove oil method was fast, even when severely overdosed the fish still panicked the moment the clove oil solution was added. It took a couple of seconds for it to kick in.

Although hitting your pet in the head with a hammer isn't a very attractive prospect, it is actually one of the most humane methods of euthanasia if done correctly.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote