Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #21 
youlovegnats

The reason why you shouldn't flush fish isn't because they'll "remember being flushed". It's exactly the reason that Littlebittyfish stated. It your fish died from some kind of disease, it's likely to run rampant in the sewer system. All that water that goes down your toilet and drain get recycled back into the main pipe system for people to use again. Yes, it's filtered and all that, but if the fish happened to have something malignant, it wouldn't be a good outcome.
For example, if your fish died of TB (which even bleach doesn't kill- and can be easily passed on to humans) and you flushed him down the toilet, this would possibly end up poorly for the entire community that shares that pipe line.
Personally I wrap them in TP and toss dispose of them in the trash.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #22 
BettaGirl290

I bury them... they are special to me, i don't cry over them, but they are special c:
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #23 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
The reason why you shouldn't flush fish isn't because they'll "remember being flushed". It's exactly the reason that Littlebittyfish stated. It your fish died from some kind of disease, it's likely to run rampant in the sewer system. All that water that goes down your toilet and drain get recycled back into the main pipe system for people to use again. Yes, it's filtered and all that, but if the fish happened to have something malignant, it wouldn't be a good outcome.
For example, if your fish died of TB (which even bleach doesn't kill- and can be easily passed on to humans) and you flushed him down the toilet, this would possibly end up poorly for the entire community that shares that pipe line.
Personally I wrap them in TP and toss dispose of them in the trash.
I think there are a lot worse things flushed into the sewer system than ANYTHING a betta possibly had.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #24 
GreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
I think there are a lot worse things flushed into the sewer system than ANYTHING a betta possibly had.
Which doesn't negate the fact that people still shouldn't be doing it.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #25 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Which doesn't negate the fact that people still shouldn't be doing it.
I guess my point is - if flushing fish was that much of a health hazard - wouldn't they make it illegal ?
It seems the sewer system is doing its job.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #26 
GreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
I guess my point is - if flushing fish was that much of a health hazard - wouldn't they make it illegal ?
It seems the sewer system is doing its job.
Yeah, in a lot of places it IS illegal. So are flushing chemicals, certain waste products, etc. Also the sewer was not designed with dead pets going in there in mind.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #27 
purplemuffin

It's illegal where I live! But a lot of people still do it anyway.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #28 
mjoy79

I've been researching and haven't found anything so far. But I wont flush a fish again until I'm sure.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #29 
trilobite

I suppose it would be illegal where sewerage enters water systems untreated.

in nz though, debris, such as dead fish, gets trapped in a grit at the plant. this then goes to a land fill. Which would effectively be the same as burying it but having someone else do it instead.
I imagine the risk of disease from fish through this system would be quite low since these workers are not going to touch any item with bare hands, gloves and other clothing would be disposed of. Hygiene is vital in such a work environment.

Its not illegal in nz and here we are far to overprotective of the environment...We aren't even allowed to import fish with out thousands of dollars for testing, QT, paperwork...
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #30 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
I suppose it would be illegal where sewerage enters water systems untreated.

in nz though, debris, such as dead fish, gets trapped in a grit at the plant. this then goes to a land fill. Which would effectively be the same as burying it but having someone else do it instead.
I imagine the risk of disease from fish through this system would be quite low since these workers are not going to touch any item with bare hands, gloves and other clothing would be disposed of. Hygiene is vital in such a work environment.

Its not illegal in nz and here we are far to overprotective of the environment...We aren't even allowed to import fish with out thousands of dollars for testing, QT, paperwork...
At least you're allowed to breed them! ^^ Just make your own lines. :)

But think of the grand scheme of things.
Take for example, what happened here in the U.S...Snakehead were brought over from SE Asia and then released into our lakes and rivers. Now our natural inhabitants are dwindling in numbers because Snakeheads literally eat anything that moves and are extremely territorial. We aren't allowed to bring in certain species alive anymore.

We aren't as nearly as environment-friendly here as we should be. :/
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote