Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Question Betta Fish Myths?

I'm writing something, on Betta fish :) I'm looking for myths people have heard about them, or even the misrepresentation or misinformation that has been passed on about these fish!

myth: betta fish live in small pockets of water in the wild all their life.
misinformation: betta fish live to 2 years.
misrepresentation: labyrinth fish like Bettas can live in small bowls for all their lives.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #2 
Luimeril

dunno which one these would count as but i heard them somewhere:

bettas LIKE dirty water

bettas don't move much

of course, we all know they're VERY false. i NEVER see Scout laying about, unless he's resting. xD otherwise, he's swimming, checking things out, building his bubble nest....

even Theo was active, and he couldn't see!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Haha nice... dirty water... hmm there will be a section on that :) mentioning how there is a HUGE difference of a natural environment in Thailand, from being in a glass/plastic container/tub/tank. :p

... Lol bettas do not move much. My Spartan will be 3 in February, and although he seems to snooze a lot more now he is definitely active xD
Old 10-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Dude I heard the craziest stories when I was first getting into bettas. You won't even believe this, but I've heard this more than once--so people really believe this story.

"Bettas lay their eggs in the dirt in the dry season. Eventually someone comes by and will step on that dirt and their footprint will help condensation form until there is a small footprint shaped puddle. The egg will then hatch and the betta is born into a tiny puddle where it benefits from the ammonia and bacteria gathered from the footprint depending on what the person stepped on before. The more bacteria the person gathered on their foot, the brighter colored and healthier the betta. If a person takes them out of the footprint sized puddle and puts them into a larger puddle they will die from not getting enough bacteria to survive"

I'm not even kidding. That was their excuse for dirty bowls. I heard this at three petstores, at my school, and at my friend's house. Who is telling this story to everyone??!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
Dude I heard the craziest stories when I was first getting into bettas. You won't even believe this, but I've heard this more than once--so people really believe this story.

"Bettas lay their eggs in the dirt in the dry season. Eventually someone comes by and will step on that dirt and their footprint will help condensation form until there is a small footprint shaped puddle. The egg will then hatch and the betta is born into a tiny puddle where it benefits from the ammonia and bacteria gathered from the footprint depending on what the person stepped on before. The more bacteria the person gathered on their foot, the brighter colored and healthier the betta. If a person takes them out of the footprint sized puddle and puts them into a larger puddle they will die from not getting enough bacteria to survive"

I'm not even kidding. That was their excuse for dirty bowls. I heard this at three petstores, at my school, and at my friend's house. Who is telling this story to everyone??!
... ... ... ... ... . . . Wait, what???? lol. bettas are made from puddles and poo? xDDD that's what I got lol :) weird story! and more than once!!!???
Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #6 
Litlover11

The first two are things I have heard from pet store employees and the last one is from a friend.
Myth: Bettas eat the roots of plants.
Myth: Bettas come from rice puddles.
Misinformation: Heaters will kill Betta fish.
Litlover11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlover11 View Post
The first two are things I have heard from pet store employees and the last one is from a friend.
Myth: Bettas eat the roots of plants.
Myth: Bettas come from rice puddles.
Misinformation: Heaters will kill Betta fish.
... ... -facepalm- yes because I have many dead bettas from my heaters :p LOL
Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #8 
Litlover11

She had kept her betta in a tiny, unheated, tank for a few months before trying a heater. After sticking the heater in there, the betta died the next day. Now she is convinced that heaters kill bettas.
Litlover11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

... Okay I see the point, but maybe she should have ruled out temperature shock, or him just being sick :p
Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #10 
MadMay

Or maybe the heater was to high for the small bowl and the fish was cooked
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote