Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #1 
sillygoose90

Stubborn Fin Rot? Starting to go on body?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 74*
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, but we have the house heat on
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellet food or bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, 2 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1-2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aquarium salt and stuff to take the chlorine out

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins have turned more red and i can see that it is starting slightly on his body to turn red as well.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? A little slower, not as interested in food. Laying more in the plants instead of swimming against current.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish?
If so, how? I used bettafix for a week with no improvements. Then I started using Jungle Fungus clear tablets but it seemed to make it worse right away. I did a water change in 2 days because the Fungus Clear appeared to make him a lot worse.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? If this is fin rot, then he has had it on and off since I got him. But his fins are turning more red quickly.
How old is your fish (approximately)?6 months

What should I do? I am just a college student and so I dont have much money to throw around in medications. I could do water changes more often, would that help? Should I try the jungle fungus clear again or not?

Attached is a picture to help!

Thanks!!
Attached Images

sillygoose90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #2 
LittleNibbles93

That doesn't sound like finrot to me. Sounds more like he's just coloring up quite abit, and I don't see any in the photo. Finrot is when the fins are grandually eaten away and fall off when he swims, and they turn black on the tips.

But, I don't have much experience with it, so I'd see what someone with better experience says.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #3 
fishman12

Yeah, that's not fin rot. Also, use dechlorinator that takes more than chlorine out. AQ salt is used for treating fin rot, and should not be used on a regular basis because it makes the bacteria in the tank immune to it. He's probably turning red from anything in the tap water that the dechlorinator didn't remove. Prime by seachem is a good dechlorinator.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #4 
sillygoose90

Hmm okay well that would be relieving if nothing was wrong. I took a picture to a guy at the local fish store and he told me it was fin rot because his fins are slowly turning red and he has 'pinholes' in his top fin. So i have been freaking out ever since on what to do.

So normal fin rot signs are holes in fins, black edges, and ragged fins right? He only has a couple holes in his fins and his top fin (not shown really in the picture) is all ragged at the end.

Okay, and I will look into another chlorinator. Thank you both!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #5 
tsukiowns

ok so your fish look awsome and like Littlenibbles93 said he might be coloring up... if the red is coming fron the body to the fins and spreading out wards it coloring up if black is coming from the edges and into the body with deteriorating fins then its finrot (most comon sign is the black edge on the fins) your fish is perfect form what i can see from the picture... if its nothing like the picture then post a new recent one and we can help you....be careful using medication because that is bad for them (specially melafix ad bettafix it has some oils that damage the labarynth lung) i would use aquarium salt for outside issues first like fungus and finrot and epsomsalt for indide parasites or constipation i think i have read around here..... but DO NOT USE unless you are 100% sure of the situation... hope this help.... im still learning so feel fre to correct me
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #6 
sillygoose90

Thanks tsukiowns! I am still learning.. hah as you can tell by my mistake. Glad to ehar nothing is wrong though.

And about his red fins... the red came from the tips and is not working its way to his body, which is why I was so nervous about them. I thought something was eating him up ahha.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #7 
fishman12

Do you use tap water? or Well water?
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote