Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #141 
octopus umbrella

I made an account here just so I could say thank you for posting this! Rorschach keeps swimming the length of her tank now that she can do it without being shoved around. I'll have to buy some sponge and see how that works, or try a combination of both.

Thanks!
octopus umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #142 
Bombalurina

What about internal filters? I have a Fluval U2, which as a very powerful flow, and an Elite Jetflo 50, which is much smaller but still ridiculously violent. I have been using some filter sponge wrapped around the outlet, but I've heard that that can damage the impeller because it has to work much harder to try and push the water through the sponge?
Any suggestions?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #143 
debiamm

Thanks a lot for this trick !! was very helpful.

I made it today, Im very happy now after noticed the objetive was completed !! hope my betta is Happy too !!
debiamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #144 
nel3

has anyone experience with marina slim 10 bio guard filters ? i plan to put an AQ sponge on the output to baffle it (5gal tank). my biggerst issue is the fact the darn filter isnt stable on the back. theres a 3/8 deep slot for the placement, the glass is 1/16 thick. i have a 5/16 gap when its hanging off it. theres a stopper on the bottom but nothing for the top half. im tempted to silicone crafting mesh on that remaining 5/16 to make it more stable so it wont wobble. its a 2 part filter (zeolite and carbon).

Last edited by nel3; 11-03-2011 at 03:12 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #145 
Rosso1011

Rookie question time. Is aquarium filter foam the same thing and is it safe for baffling?
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #146 
angiessa

I used this baffle in my tank. Norman, my hyperactive betta, now purposely swims under the baffle so he can shoot out the other side. So much for not liking the current, LOL!
angiessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #147 
Virux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
What about internal filters? I have a Fluval U2, which as a very powerful flow, and an Elite Jetflo 50, which is much smaller but still ridiculously violent. I have been using some filter sponge wrapped around the outlet, but I've heard that that can damage the impeller because it has to work much harder to try and push the water through the sponge?
Any suggestions?

I don't think the extra buildup would damage the impeller itself, but it could cause stress/overheat issues for the actual little motor that drives the filter impeller. I will say, with certainty, I have sponge baffles for various kinds of tanks on HOB filters of differing brands and never once do I recall having a motor wear out or an impeller break. The trick is not to over-do it. The posters here keep showing using thick algae sponge or other thick media to baffle the outflow of filters, but I personally prefer to use something with a very loose weave. I have had success with small pieces of old bacterial media fibers from cheap, old, broken filters without bio-wheels, etc. You can also buy replacement pieces of this at fish and pet stores, possibly even at wal-mart. I usually use two pieces: one goes in front of the filter, behind and on top of the outflow area. Another goes on top of that, but banded to the outside of the filter, not partially within it. Fiddle with the pieces until your outflow is gentle enough for you. This works best with slightly weaker-powered filters (Aqua Techs, some Tetras) and doesn't always work well with bio-wheels. I'll upload pictures in a bit.
Virux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:18 AM   #148 
BettaSnap456

Does this truly work? I did something similar to this but I had to weaken the strength by pulling up the intake tube on my power filter....
BettaSnap456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #149 
Virux

If you mean sponge filter-baffles, yes, they definitely work. I have never used the plastic bottle method myself. They work best when the water level isn't very far from the outflow of the filter, though: if the water level is too low, the gravity and falling action of the outflow will still cause a lot of disruption and current. The closer the baffled outflow is to the waterline, the less disruption. Ideally, letting the waterline be right on the filter outflow's edge works very well. If there is still a noticeable downcurrent, you can intercept it by positioning an old undergravel filter under the current. The water will flow down the UGF tube and have to come through the gravel that you bury the UGF plate with, which will almost completely eliminate the issue. This is what I have done.
Virux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #150 
BlackberryBetta

Awesome! I am gonna try this! Hope it works! Hey, I was wondering...I have a VT with really long fins and I am really scared of him getting stuck on the intake when I'm not home. I just got him yesterday and I haven't turned on the filter yet after he almost got sucked in once. What do you think I could do to help him? I heard that you could put panty hose on the intake to keep him from getting sucked in, but do you think that will work?
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote