Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #1 
nel3

raised scale on body

i just noticed a raised scale on Osiris (copper dt) he does have a deformed spine but the spot is on the top half (leftside when facing me). not nearly 1mm high. his spine is a tad bit worse than the other dt but he has no issues swimming. i got him from an lps a month ago. i dont have a camera nearby atm. i dont suspect a tumour just yet but just how fast can a tumour manifest for betta? hes in a 2.5g water 24c heated, not filtered.

this is not my betta but looks 90% the same

i used paint to mark the area of the raised scale (no photo shop). the mark is
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #2 
earthworm88

If it is just one raised scale, I wouldn't worry about it. He may have bumped it onto something, the scale may likely fall off, and a new one will grow back on. Just make sure water is clean at all times. Beautiful betta...relax and enjoy!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #3 
Silverfang

It's most likely that he injured himself and it's a loose scale. I agree, keep his water clean and keep an eye on it. If more start to raise or he starts to get swollen or bloated then I'd get concerned.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #4 
nel3

thank you very much earthworm and silver fang. i'd hate for a tumour to manifest. can you please give me a worst case scenario for timeline if its a tumour?

i found a pic of Osiris lurking around here. this pic was a week or so since i got him. i havent been taking too many pics of my bettas. usually only do it if they bite or any other sickness. he's taken a bit off his bottom caudal but thats nothing compared to Nel and Nelliel's history. Nel is still writing his biting history :(.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote