My area recently got a Petco, and after visiting yesterday renewed my love of Betta fish...as well as my sadness for those in the store. :(
So, I've got a few questions.
1) Petco had many different bettas, varying in colors, ages, veil-tails and crown-tails...and gender. Possibly in the future, I'd like to purchase a young Betta to watch it grow, but how can you tell the difference between a young male and a young female, since the males haven't gotten their long fins yet? How are female Bettas, in terms of personality and care?
2) Say if I wanted to have a large number of Bettas, what would be the best way to go about this? This is strictly for curiosity. How much space do you consider the minimum needed for a male betta? What about housing females? Would buying separate, smaller tanks be better than buying a large one and separating it?
3) Do you think it'd be better to "rescue" the Bettas in a store such as Petco by buying and caring for them, or do you think it'd be better to not buy them at all, leaving them in the harsh conditions?
4) I've currently got a single male betta in a five-gallon tank. What (if any), tank mates can he have? I'd rather stick to fish, if at all possible.
5) Live plants. Can you recommend any low-maintenance plants for a small tank? They had a few varieties at Petco, and if possible I'd like to buy from there simply because in my experience, everyone else's plants have had snails, which I don't want.
6) Are there any water heaters which will work for a tank as small as five gallons that are adjustable? I currently have a heater that does a good job at keeping the water temperature of the tank around 78 degrees, but it's not adjustable in the sense of temperature. Is this alright? I can raise the temperature more by leaving the light on, but decreases in temperature are kinda not doable (should it be necessary).
7) Is it okay if I only have the filter on only during the day? I turn it off at night because my Betta is housed in my bedroom, and it helps me sleep. However, I could learn to live with the filter noise if it'd be much better for the tank.
8) For my tank, what should the maintenance be? It's in a corner so it grows no algae (at least that I can see), I give it dechlorinated water when the water is evaporated, but other than that I don't do much, and my mom keeps harping on me that the tank has a filter and it's just "one fish" and that anything more that I do is unnecessary. If you click on the tank blurb link below, all my tank details are in there. What would you recommend as the minimum I should do for it?
Hm...I think these are all my questions right now. Most of them are for curiosity, as I don't really have the funds to get more tanks and such right now, although I'd love to get many and have a Betta rescue facility in my room. :p
Thank you for any and all help received. ^_^