Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #11 
Bloeduwedd

Since none of my girls are in the tank, I've upped the temp to 86 and been using QuICK Cure, at the dosage recommended for tetras, just to not kill them. Should I replace the filter, let the tank detox, and add the Maracyn to the main tank as well when I get it? I started using the QuICK Cure because it says "for ick and protozoan parasites"... because these spots definitely look like something parasitic. I would have started with AQ salt, but I have live plants and the cory cats, and nowhere to put them... my two QT tanks are being used for my newest male bettas.
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #12 
Sakura8

If you think it looks like a parasite then by all means, definitely continue. I know some external parasites can cause white patches because the fish create extra mucous to try and get rid of them. If the tetras aren't acting funny, then QuICK Cure probably is the best road for them. And I forgot about your cory cats. >.< Good point, no salt for the main tank.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #13 
Bloeduwedd

They've gotten a bit paler since I started it, but no one has died or stopped eating in the main tank, save a ghost shrimp (saw another one nomming on the corpse). Big mama is still holding on in her little cup, and even though she's very lethargic and still not eating, her fins seem to have stopped falling apart! Stormcloud's dorsal also seems to have stopped shredding, and unnamed and Aurora are still showing no signs. I'm about to stop their AQ sal treatment, because at this point I feel it's going to cause more harm in the long run. They would have shown symptoms by now, I would think. So I'm excited for that :D
Old 10-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Okay, sounds like a plan for unnamed and Stormcloud. The salt can be started up again if they do show symptoms. I'm glad Big Mama's still with us.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #15 
Bloeduwedd

Just wanted to update: Big Mama passed the night of the 19th. Aurora and Unnamed are in salt-free water and still showing no symptoms. Stormcloud is also out of the treatment, and showing no further symptoms. The spots on the tetras are gradually disappearing, so I hope to re-start my sorority soon. I've already aquired a crowntail female who I swear is purple! Couldn't pass her up. Not sure if I'll be getting more girls though... not until the tank is healthy again, at least.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #16 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry to hear about Big Mama. I was really rooting for her. Good luck with your sorority. If any of your girls start to show symptoms again, get them into 3 tsps of salt and post back.