Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #31 
marinebiologist21

Thank you.
And no, I must read it. :)
I hope your betta does well.
It frustrates me how people don't understand our attatchment. They're just like dogs for me.

I hope all goes well with your betta.
WHICH IT WILL! :)
marinebiologist21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #32 
Frizandi

Here is the story of Rainbow Bridge. Better have tissues with you.

Peace.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
Frizandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:14 AM   #33 
Frizandi

Well, Blueberry is still just hanging at the top of the tank not doing anything. He doesn't seem to be eating. At first he was behind the heater so when he moved I pushed up the temp of the tank to 80 degrees.

I can't figure out what's going on. He doesn't seem to have any visible fungus, but it's hard for me to get a close look. The only other thing I can say with assuredness is that he is less colorful than he was.

I was reading up on beta fish ailments last night until I was positively cross-eyed, and I still have no idea what's happening. He used to be so perky and animated, and I'm afraid that if I wait much longer that he'll leave us.

Does anybody have any ideas?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #34 
Frizandi

Thank you so much for all your time and effort........

I just got home and discovered that our little Blueberry had passed. This is so hard. I'm glad there is a forum such as this. Most people would not understand how a little fish could mean so much; I'm grateful to be here.

Marinebiologist, we are now in the same boat, and I'm sure that our little fishy has been welcomed to Rainbow Bridge by yours.

Sadness is sadness, no matter how small the loved one.

Peace to you all. I promised my daughter another fish, and I'd like to think that Blueberry's purpose in life was to educate us so that we can do better. Thank you, Blueberry. We are all smarter now.

Since we will be getting another fish, what's the best way to clean out the tank? I want to do everything right this time. Your continued support will be hugely appreciated.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #35 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Sorry to hear that, Frizandi. I'd use only lukewarm water and salt to disinfect the tank.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #36 
Frizandi

Thank you so much for all your time and effort........

I just got home and discovered that our little Blueberry had passed. This is so hard. I'm glad there is a forum such as this. Most people would not understand how a little fish could mean so much; I'm grateful to be here.

Marinebiologist, we are now in the same boat, and I'm sure that our little fishy has been welcomed to Rainbow Bridge by yours.

Sadness is sadness, no matter how small the loved one.

Peace to you all. I promised my daughter another fish, and I'd like to think that Blueberry's purpose in life was to educate us so that we can do better. Thank you, Blueberry. We are all smarter now.

Since we will be getting another fish, what's the best way to clean out the tank? I want to do everything right this time. Your continued support will be hugely appreciated.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #37 
SST

oh man, I'm so sorry. It's so hard to lose a pet.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #38 
studioskim3

sorry

I have SEVERAL experience... and each one is painful as the next. My first betta actually passed away the same way. at first it was lively and what not, ate all his food and swam around alot. But one day, it started to look lethargic and sad. Then the next day, it was hanging around the bottom of the tank, then only floated to breathe, then the next day, it started to hang around one corner of the tank and started to "hypervenilate". The next day, it started to have very demonic looking eyes and his scales and colors started to fade... then... he had a long stripe across its body, and the next day my Friday passed away :( My problem was that the water was too cold. I think depression didn't help much either. I didn't know that food left in the water also made the living environment for fishes were bad (obviously). Every mistake I made with my first pet (ever). And it was very painful for me. I was up researching all night that night looking for possible answers and remedies. but it was too late :( But i learned :) I wish you luck on your new fish! :)
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #39 
Frizandi

Thanks to all your help and encouragement (and some research on my part) I feel confident that I can do this again, and do it right this time.

I have been through this learning experience with hermit crabs, but fish were brand new to me. I partially blame the pet shops who sell these little guys. Just like hermit crabs, they lead you to believe that these animals are low-maintenance creatures who can live in a comfined space and all you have to do is throw food at them once a say and that will be enough. Had I known then what I know now, Little Blueberry would probably still be here. My only regret was that I didn't do enough research earlier.

My heart breaks for Blueberry. I keep looking in his empty tank, and he's not there. It doesn't seem right and it's certainly not fair. I'm just glad we had the few short months we did to enjoy him. And having him has made me a better betta mommy. Now I know what (and what not) to do to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

Our little guy is now in the freezer until we can give him a proper burial. No "burial t sea" for our Blueberry. When the time is right he will go to "Fish Place", a place where my daughter and her best friend have buried several of their dear departed animals. It just seems fitting.

You haven't heard the last of me. Soon we will rescue another little fishy from the "bowls of doom" at the pet store. Only this time we know what we're doing.

And if we don't............ I know where to find you.

Best wishes for a blessed holiday season.

Peace.

Andrea