Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #1 
AlbinoBlakKat

My Betta has some really confusing symptoms

Hey all,
I've had my male Crowntail Betta for about 3 weeks now, and I've been very religious with keeping up with the tank cycling(new tank setup) as well as the 10-15% water changes. Up until today he's been very active, happy, he built a bubble nest earlier this week, was eating fine, greeting me when I walk in the room, etc. However, today he's started acting very different and he has varying symptoms and I'm so far unable to pin down exactly what is going on. I originally thought it was Ick, but I'm not sure...

Perhaps you all could help me out?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon.
What temperature is your tank? 78* F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One Albino Bristlenose Plecostomus.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Tropical Medley Flakes & Baby Shrimp(only on occasion)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day in tiny amounts equivalent to 1 feeding a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Full water change twice a month. Partial water change twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10-15% for a partial change.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I have been testing with strips, and I'm not convinced it's being very accurate.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 1 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 8.5 ppm
Hardness: 0 ppm
Alkalinity: 180 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Cloudy eyes, a grey spot above his right pectoral fin, and a few white spots on his head, and droopy fins.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
He's not eating, if he does "eat" he spits it back out, when he goes up for air his gills flare rapidly a couple times after going below the surface, he's being lethargic; resting at the top of the water surface or in a corner on the bottom of the tank.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have so far treated the entire tank for Ick, and put the recommended 1 teaspoon aquarium salt per 2.5 gallons.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I'm aware of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year old.
AlbinoBlakKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #2 
Silverfang

By no additives, do you mean no dechlorinator?
IF so that is the biggest issue.
Other concerns, in a 5 gal filtered you should do more for the water change. One 50% change with a gravel vacuuming.
The last issue I would mention is the pleco. I realize bristlenose are one of the smaller breeds, however I think it will be too much for a 5 gallon tank.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #3 
AlbinoBlakKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
By no additives, do you mean no dechlorinator?
IF so that is the biggest issue.
Other concerns, in a 5 gal filtered you should do more for the water change. One 50% change with a gravel vacuuming.
The last issue I would mention is the pleco. I realize bristlenose are one of the smaller breeds, however I think it will be too much for a 5 gallon tank.
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I meant I don't add any other sort of vitamins, etc. I use dechlorinator (Tetra: AquaSafe). I have a minimum 5 gallons of treated water standing by at any given time if I need to swap for any reason.

With a full water change, I do gravel vacuum.

I am planning to get a 10 gallon tank soon. I have been having to clean the tank often as a result of the pleco, so I don't think water quality is the issue.

Also, I'm not a new fish owner, I'm going to school for aquatic zoo keeping.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #4 
Silverfang

ah sorry, I missed the part about the full changes

The white spots, you mentioned ich, do they look like salt was sprinkled on him? Or are the spots raised and cottony?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #5 
AlbinoBlakKat

Quote:
ah sorry, I missed the part about the full changes

The white spots, you mentioned ich, do they look like salt was sprinkled on him? Or are the spots raised and cottony?
That's the thing... They don't look raised to me, but they don't look salt-like, like ich either. I just noticed he also has a few scales that used to be iridescent on his sides, but are now just grey and flat. He has one grey spot that does look cottony above his right pectoral fin as well.
I don't know... I'm grasping at straws with this. He seems to have a bunch of symptoms of various illnesses, almost none that make any sense.
He's also just recently started to lay on the bottom of the tank against his hide "house" and seems to be only moving to get air.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I recently lost a girl that had a few similar symptoms. She ended up developing columnarious, but I can't say for sure about your boy. First noticed her lieing on the bottom and not moving. I put her in a shallow container, left it float in the main tank.

IF it is columnarious you want to lower the water temp slightly, 74-75, it will spread faster with warmer temps.
OF course it's a catch 22, the treatment for ich involves raising the temp to speed up the life cycle. Generally with any external problems aquarium salt treatment are called for.

Sorry I can't help you pin it down any better. IF you see more whitish fluff on him then lower the temperature down to 75 to help slow the growth. I used Maracyn 1 and 2 to treat.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #7 
AlbinoBlakKat

Quote:
I recently lost a girl that had a few similar symptoms. She ended up developing columnarious, but I can't say for sure about your boy. First noticed her lieing on the bottom and not moving. I put her in a shallow container, left it float in the main tank.

IF it is columnarious you want to lower the water temp slightly, 74-75, it will spread faster with warmer temps.
OF course it's a catch 22, the treatment for ich involves raising the temp to speed up the life cycle. Generally with any external problems aquarium salt treatment are called for.

Sorry I can't help you pin it down any better. IF you see more whitish fluff on him then lower the temperature down to 75 to help slow the growth. I used Maracyn 1 and 2 to treat.
How exactly would I raise/lower the temp with a heater that has a built-in thermostat? I have no control over the temperature, but it stays about 76* consistently, unless I were to heat treated water and then swap it into the tank, I suppose? I tried to find a small tank heater that I could control the temps, with no luck though.

I appreciate your insight on this. I hope he pulls through, he's a wonderful little fish.

Any other ideas are welcome still. I'll take any advice I can get at this point.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #8 
Silverfang

Ah, presets do make that difficult. I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas. Perhaps OFL (oldfishlady) might, she's the resident expert on all things betta.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #9 
AlbinoBlakKat

Alright, thanks for your advice. =)

Tags
betta, multiple symptoms, sick, unknown sickness