Okami

mine has sand and florite under the sand. So I cant really vacume it
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #12 
TL1000RSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
mine has sand and florite under the sand. So I cant really vacume it
I'd get a couple MTS's and maybe a few ghost or cherry shrimps. MTS will spend the days under the sand and come out at night to eat other stuff.
TL1000RSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

Malaysian Trumpet Snails will over populate a tank in a month, since the OP wants a clean up crew.

You can siphon sand, you just have to find a method that works for you. Google it. Most people siphon at an angle, or use small airline hose (like I do for my sand tanks).

If you want snails, get Assassin snails. They will clean, they stay small and they will help you with air pockets in your sand. Other than that, shrimp.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #14 
TL1000RSquid

If your getting over run with MTS then your overfeeding your tank. I have them in all my freshwater tanks 2.5g to 40 breeder, haven't had any out of control population explosions, so far the only snail explosion I had was from mystery snails awhile back which was probably from me overfeeding.

I use a hose a bit bigger then an airline hose and hover it about 1" above my sand it sucks up any debris and leaves the sand alone.
TL1000RSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #15 
Okami

hmmm im thinking shrimps down the line seem better than snails
Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

I really like RCS. It is very cute when they trundle about on the sand snatching little bits of food. That being said, if you have light-coloured sand, their poo shows up like crazy. I vaccuum my tank everyday just so it doesn't look grotty.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #17 
Okami

once my tank is 100% clear ill post a photo of it. Its a bit cloudy since I finally added the florite and drift wood. Maybe once you can see it you can get an idea of what im working with.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #18 
bastage

well at this point I have moved the snail out of one of my 3 boy's tanks & moved a ghost shrimp into it.. Was done simply that the betta sam (in my avatar) constantly acts weird.. he try's to buy himself under whatever he can. I would put in hiding spots & he instead of using them still tries to bury himself in the gravel. I Wanted to see if he would take to shrimp any better then the snail.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote