Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Bettas together? Should I face the two bettas together?
Yes, they will be fine, give them sometime. 2 28.57%
No, they will get stressed and die (faster). 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #1 
studioskim3

havin more than one bettas? good or bad?

So I recently bought a new betta... and it started to look lonely and depressed. So I bought a new one. They seem to "like" each other... is this a good idea? I put them together (not in the same tank of course, duh?!) but like different containers next to each other, and they flare and "fight" constantly. I researched if this is okay... and so far, there were no opposition to it...

from your experience, do u think I should keep them facing each other, or should I not... i also bought each of them separate "slightly" more larger tanks so that they don't get jealous of each of their tank size...

Do u think they will ever be "friends" and stop flaring... or should i just immediately separate them so that they don't get shocked and stressed. Their colors has enhanced too. and just in case, I put a sheet of paper once in a while, but they just wait for it to be pulled aside so that they can go at it again... is this safe?

Help please! thank you!
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #2 
Falina

I would seperate them. Seeing each other a lot will defintely stress them out.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #3 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
I tried this before using translucent dividers. They're fine but eventually I lost them when the compartments slip into a community tank allowing my tetras to severely nip their fins.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #4 
SST

You might consider some plants (silk or real) in their tanks. Give 'em a place to hide when they don't feel like dealing with each other. I had a male and female in separate tanks near each other and they weren't always aware of the other.

You just might have to watch for signs of stress.

Or maybe put the divider in between at night, so they can get some rest.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #5 
studioskim3

wat kind of plants r good for them? u mentioned silk... is there a specific kind? also... I dun have much of a tank... its a one gallon, obviously too small, but I'm too poor to buy BOTH proper tanks ... is there a fake one that I can purchase (hopefully cheap) so that both would be happy... or is the tank too smal for even a small plant?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 AM   #6 
studioskim3

oh and thank u everyone who has provided me feedback, it really helps....

so what I'm doing rite now is have a sheet of paper dividing them, but once in a while.... when their color seems to fade, i let the paper fall so that they can see each other. and at night its dark, so i just let the paper fall.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 AM   #7 
Thumper719

i have 2 females and they get along fine
but im not too sure about males...
Thumper719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #8 
SST

I've come across two types of fake plants: plastic and silk. I know there are some small enough for your tank. Just look around. I recommend silk, as they are softer and more flexible in the water. Any fake plant you get should pass the "pantyhose" test, meaning they shouldn't snag pantyhose. If they do, they'll hurt your fish, so don't buy it.

You don't want to fill up your tank with plants, but having a small one in each tank will give them some variety and should lower their stress levels.

When you get some money, think about upgrading to a 10 gal. with a plastic divider. That way you only have to buy one heater and one filter and you could put a bunch of silk (or even real) plants in it to give them lots of places to be instead of flaring at the divider all the time. A 5 gal. might work, I don't know if that would be too small.

Good luck!
SST is offline   Reply With Quote