Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #11 
earthworm88

You have plenty of LFS in Malaysia to get quite a few types of bettas, unless you are looking for exotic and rare genotypes or looking to breed. You can even find crowntails in pasar malam, I saw a few for 10RM each the last time I visited one. However, you really need to test your tap water first as I know the chemistry there is always questionable, at least you know what you are up against.

Good luck with everything!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #12 
Alvin K

I went to the nearby fish store to buy a thermometer, and after leaving it in for about 3 hours, the temperature in the tank shows that it's at 28 degrees Celsius or 82.4 Fahrenheit. The thermometer I bought is the one that has a suction cup and is placed in the tank for more accuracy.

The store owner told me that my fishes probably suffered from intestinal infection, as one of them probably died of it, and the other fishes who ate the dead fish also died of it and that probably contaminated the water.

I was thinking of buying some medicine that can be used in any case of emergency, so I took a picture to consult you guys on which is the best, though I could have just asked the store owner.

I'll be buying the water test kit soon. I forgot to bring some of the water samples for him to do some testing as I was rushing out.

Yes, there are many fish stores in Malaysia, I usually buy my Crowntail for RM 5 in the place where I got started, which is about $ 1.60 USD. MOST of the fish stores here are unreliable, they only want to make a quick buck by selling as many and as much as possible without educating their customers.

Last edited by Alvin K; 10-24-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Adding more info.
Alvin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Until you get a test kit...I would make 50% twice weekly water changes on the tank...1-50% water only and 1-50% with light vacuum in all areas that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots..

Filter media-give this a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain water flow...you want it to look a bit dirty......

Get your water temp down slowly to the 78F range

The nitrogen cycle-the nitrifying bacteria need-oxygen, surface area and food to colonize and establish the biological filter in your system...these good bacteria are sticky and adhere to all the surface areas inside the tank, in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media...very little are in the water column itself....so water only changes will not stall or hurt the cycling process, however, over cleaning can.....you don't want to vacuum more than every 7 days or clean the non viewing walls, remove decorations, plants...etc...to clean or change the filter media until the nitrogen cycle has established and this can take about 4-8 weeks....

Several things can change this natural process...water temp, pH, KH/GH, live plants, some medications and chemicals to name a few.....

The number one medication for tropical fish IMO/E...is fresh dechlorinated like temp water from water changes....Then Aquarium salt, Epsom salt and tannins are the best next steps in treatment for Bettas...not all fish are salt tolerant and salts cannot be used....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote