Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #1 
Stellafish

Red streaks/patches - septicemia?

Little Mack is my newest betta fish; he's a half moon betta that I've had about a month. He is still very active but I have noticed some red streaks and patches growing. I couldn't get a good picture because he wouldn't stay still, so I took a video and put it on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt31JtBvIAQ. I am thinking it looks like septicemia to me but I'm unsure because he is partly red, and I've never had a betta with his coloring. I don't want to give him antibiotics if unnecessary, in my experience the meds can be hard on the fishies! Please help me help my Little Mack! Here goes....

Housing
What size is your tank? 5g
What temperature is your tank? ~78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? mostly flakes with some blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once or twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none (except the de-chlorinator liquid)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have not.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins have always been half red and half clear. But in the last 2 days I have noticed increasing red streaks throughout his fins, especially dorsal fin. Dorsal fin looks slightly shredded but I don't see any black on it. Also, he has had a red streak in the middle of his forehead since I got him, but upon closer examination I think it has gotten bigger. He has always had red patches on his body so I can't tell if they have changed or not.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't - he is eating fine and very active.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 2 days ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I did another water change yesterday but that's it.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I know of

How old is your fish (approximately)? young - I got him a month ago and he was tiny! (much smaller than any of my previous bettas - he has grown considerably in one month!)

Thanks in advance!
Stellafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

He doesn't have septicemia, he just appears to be marbeling out a little bit with the red coloring =) If he had septicemia, he would be acting sick, and septicemia looks like bloody red streaks all over the fish. He's a real cutie, he looks like a really inquisitive little fellow!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

^ Agreed. He's just coloring up because he's a happy little fish! ^^ He's a cute one! I love marbles!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #4 
Stellafish

Oh thank you!! I was so worried but glad I was just paranoid. He is VERY active and inquisitive, and growing quickly! Now that I know it's normal, I love his marbling too! haha
Stellafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

^^ Just make sure you keep up on water changes and he shouldn't ever have fin rot. :))
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote