Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #21 
youlovegnats

The $100+ is usually for giant plakats of exceptional quality. The most expensive I've ever seen on AB was for $120.
I've spent over $300 for breeding so far, and I have to agree with Bahamut. You should take care of the ones you have now, and then maybe in the future you can breed.
But if you go against everyone's advice, there's nothing we can do about it. Just be sure to have everything you need before you breed them.
Look forward to seeing a spawn log. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #22 
Sena Hansler

If you do lots of research, willing to permanently or long-time house fry, have your meds ready, tank(s) set up, and all the supplies, and still want tk breed we'll help you. :)

Hmm I did not know that about pricing lol. Although I have seen some for 30-50 range per fish or a pair.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

And another thing... I would definitely NOT go against my parents if they said no more fish. You're living under their roof, do as they say.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #24 
cajunamy
Banned

You need the time for more like the first 3 months, not the first week. You need to to daily to every other day water changes. You need to feed around 4x a day, in small quantities. The water needs to be pristine for them to grow well and not be stunted by the growh hormones. You need several hundred dollars at least for the proper equipment, including at least 50 jars. You'll need all the food from fry to adulthood, all the heaters, all the jars, all the tanks. You'll need good stock that you know the genetics of so that you don't pass on anything undesirable.

And most of all, you need your parents support since you still live in their home. If they say no, going behind their backs will not be a good idea. It will just land you in a bunch of trouble. I am a parent, so trust me on this.

And do you really have around $300-800 that you will need to do this? Plus all the time that is needed apart from school, homework, extracurricular activities, and housework? Along with keeping your other animals well? You will need time to not only tend to the fry, but to their food. They do best on live foods, and the time that that takes alone is alot.

You can't breed for money, esp if you're just going to try it. And think how mad your parents might be if you spent all this money on the proper equipment, food, pair, etc and you only do it once. You will be losing money.

Also you should focus on housing your current fish properly instead of jumping into new endeavors. When all that is straight, then you can look into doing more.\

Miah, my advice to you is this: research. Not for a day, a week or a month. Research for at least a year. Find out everything you can about bettas, from conditioning the pair to spawning, to hatching, to adulthood. Find out about their foods, about all the diseases that can come up and what to look for to dx it, and how to treat it. Find out if you're willing to cull deformities or fish you can't house and can't rehome. Find a way that you are comfy with for culling. Gather up supplies slowly, so the price isn't such a huge impact all at once for you. This is after you are sure you have proper homes for your current animals of course. Then in a year or two, when you know pretty much everything, (but you'll never know everything, b/c new info is always coming up) if you still want to do it, then work on your parents. You are young, you have your whole life to decide on this. Don't rush into this rashly, as this is not something to be taken lightly. You will be responsible for bringing lives into the world, you will be responsible for everything b/c they can't tend to themselves.

Last edited by cajunamy; 10-24-2011 at 05:23 PM.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #25 
MrVampire181

Even cutting corners on breeding supplies is expensive. My parents are pretty supportive. But you can't breed and grow fish easily...I may get them so spawn but out of my spawns I only get a few to grow. I need to use lots of food, huge tanks, and lots of time. Its not a good idea to jump into breeding ...focus on your current fish.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #26 
CodeRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
And another thing... I would definitely NOT go against my parents if they said no more fish. You're living under their roof, do as they say.
+1 to this. Your parents don't have to let you have any pets at all. Going behind their backs to do all of this could be very, very bad. If you sincerely, sincerely feel that you want to breed, and believe you had the time and money to do so... sit down with them and be honest. Tell them it WILL cost potentially hundreds of dollars, could result in 100s in bettas, and will be quite the effort and hassle. If you don't, you could end up losing not just your fry, but they could revoke your rights to having any pets at all. And that, to me, is not worth the possibility of breeding. They've supported you thus far, is it really fair to them for you to scheme to try to force more on them? Think of this from their perspective. In the years it takes you to move out you could research and prepare yourself extensively, and have a very successful spawn when everything is taken care of by you.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Even cutting corners on breeding supplies is expensive. My parents are pretty supportive. But you can't breed and grow fish easily...I may get them so spawn but out of my spawns I only get a few to grow. I need to use lots of food, huge tanks, and lots of time. Its not a good idea to jump into breeding ...focus on your current fish.
That is true. I've got shipments of shipments coming in. Do not forget about hatching certain live foods! That has a whole new level added to breeding too!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

Live foods is enough to turn me off of breeding. I'm squeamish when it comes to bugs and worms. Eeeww. lol
Old 10-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #29 
Sena Hansler

Oh trust me lol I got microworms shipping to me because I do not haeto cut suff up x.x so I agree haha.

Trust me Miah I have 15 fry, and only 7 are growing big. There is one who is still in the first week size - although does look like the others. There's ALOT involved >< lol
Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

Obviously Miah has decided not to respond to this thread.