Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #1 
chicagojo

Rock N Roll is doing much better, thanks to all for your help

Wanted to thank those of you who've helped me nurse our little betta Rock N Roll through his recent SBD and bad stress. I am happy to report that he FINALLY passed the little bit of pea I had given him on Friday (before learning that is actually for goldfish, not bettas) along with a huge amount of fish poop (honestly, not to be too graphic, but I don't know how such a big thing came out of such a little fish!) I moved him from the epsom bath tank to his regular home today and he seems HAPPY!!! He even looks to have started a bit of a bubble nest, which he hasn't really done in the whole time we've had him (about 2 months). He is also really enjoying the new silk plant I got him based on advice received here. Now, if only his heater would arrive I think we will have things in great shape for him!

One quick random question: Do I need to do anything special to clean out the QT tank now that he's done with it for now? All that was in there (besides him) was water, water conditioner, and epsom salt but I'm hoping to re-use it for future QT situations. I did already rinse it thoroughly with warm/hot water and have it air drying now. I also rinsed his silk plant with warm water before moving it back into his real home. Anything else I should do? Thanks!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #2 
BellasMomma

i see u said something about giving him a pea.... r u not supposed to give bettas peas!?!??!!!!!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #3 
chicagojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasMomma View Post
i see u said something about giving him a pea.... r u not supposed to give bettas peas!?!??!!!!!
No, according to what I have recently learned here you should NOT give bettas peas because they are unable to digest them and it can actually make the problem worse. Fortunately in the case of our little guy he was able to pass the pea (it wasn't a whole pea, just a tiny pellet-sized bit and he passed it completely undigested) and he made a full recovery and is back to his usual hyper self. But next time I will bypass the pea and go straight for fasting + epsom salts!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #4 
BellasMomma

O NOOOO!!! i gave my Violet a pea - 1 total over like a week!!! o my god!!! i saw poo hanging from her yesterday so she passed it but she had been acting CRAZY... she was always really chill and always swimming peacefully around her tank and then all of a sudden she was spazzing out and darting around her tank. come to think of it it was like 2 days after i gave her her first pea.... do u think that could have affected her in that way??? gosh i HATE getting wrong information. figures something i get from another website is WRONG!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #5 
Behati

SBD isn't contagious so you should be able to wash it and reuse the QT. Just make sure it's clean before you use the QT again. If you are really worried or in future situations where it IS contagious you can mix a bleach solution and rinse your tank with that. When you've rinsed out the bleach and refilled with water, make sure you add some extra dechlorinator (bleach is chlorine basically) to neutralize any excess bleach. Please note though, this technique does not work for tuberculosis and in cases of TB you need to toss everything that water has ever touched.

Sometimes a tiny amount of blanched pea is recommended to help the betta clear out anything that may be stuck in it's system. It should not be given as food or daily treatment, but it can help in some scenarios (ask before you feed it). If a betta is bloated though, you might want to try Epsom salt before you try peas since Epsom is a gentle laxative suitable for fish with no adverse effects even with prolonged use.

I also hear that a quick fix for bloated bettas is making them flare, since they tend to poop when they are in the fighting mood.

Last edited by Behati; 10-24-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Behati is offline   Reply With Quote