Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #2631 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Yeah it's around 30% each time for me. It's not so bad, I just have to keep his water very clean to prevent fin rot from developing.
thank you, how much of his original tail area is left so far since he started blowing it? so far ive been feeding all 3 fish frozen BW for the past 4 days and the rest were pellets. Nelliel's tail has stopped for the time being with 2 episodes worth 10-15% loss total. i noticed that last month he did that i didnt give that many BW during the tome the tail was blowing so i think the extra protein is doing quite well. i hope it continues to go well *crosses fingers*. im not very superstitious but this is one of thefew exceptions for me.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #2632 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
thank you, how much of his original tail area is left so far since he started blowing it? so far ive been feeding all 3 fish frozen BW for the past 4 days and the rest were pellets. Nelliel's tail has stopped for the time being with 2 episodes worth 10-15% loss total. i noticed that last month he did that i didnt give that many BW during the tome the tail was blowing so i think the extra protein is doing quite well. i hope it continues to go well *crosses fingers*. im not very superstitious but this is one of thefew exceptions for me.
Oh, it heals over fairly quickly. I have since moved him into an uncycled tank so I can change the water often. He would blow out around 30%, then heal all of it back before blowing out again. I assume if it's from over flaring, there is a "maximum" that they can flare at, so they can't rip it more than the maximum.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #2633 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Oh, it heals over fairly quickly. I have since moved him into an uncycled tank so I can change the water often. He would blow out around 30%, then heal all of it back before blowing out again. I assume if it's from over flaring, there is a "maximum" that they can flare at, so they can't rip it more than the maximum.
thats good to hear Bahamut. i probably couldve had mine heal quicker if i gave more BW. its still stressful the imagine they might have it blow out right to their body. i dont mind the edges blowing out, my biggest worry is when the tail splits along 1-3 individual rays for atleast half tail length.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #2634 
nel3

i have a planted pot with celosia that keep coming back because there are countless seed dropped in the soil from the past 2 years. i just noticed the pill bugs now and id rather not let them leave the pot. i can get them out my self if i have to or atleast try. before i get to that id like to know if there's anyway i can feed sow bugs/pill bugs to my Betta. i have never used any chemicals aside from plant fertilizer ie garden plants on that planted pot once in a while.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #2635 
Zappity

Quick filter question.
I have a 5 gallon tank, with 2 male guppies (used to be five..others all died), and it's due for a filter cartrage change. Will changing the filter cartrage effect the cycle at all? It's already cycled, and the water paremeters are perfect.
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #2636 
Neil D

Yes. Do not change the filter cartridge, just swish it around in some old tank water...

And guppies need to be in groups of *iThink* 6. And they definitely need more than 5g. :)
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #2637 
Randomperson

I have a betta heater for my one gallon tank I'm wondering if the cord is safe to go through the tank
I don't want my fishy to get shocked, he's fond of the cord for some reason
Randomperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #2638 
Myates

It's recommended to fully submerse the heater, so the cords tend to be water safe. =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #2639 
Randomperson

i thought so, thank you. im so paranoid hahahaha
he keeps leaning on the cord and swimming inbetween it
Randomperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #2640 
nel3

what is the best way to QT my 2 betta for the 5gal divided? theres no way i can really float or hold the .5g tank in the 5gal due to size constraints. would putting 1 betta in side A and leaving the other in his .5g placing the 2 tanks side by side be possible?