Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #1 
mewhales
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Question 13 Gallon tank with 2 bettas

i am thinking of adding some other fish. one of my new bettas (Liliac) recently keep attacking my blue betta (Ninja) and i will probably return her. any suggestions to add to my tank?
mewhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #2 
Sweeda88
Member
 
Sweeda88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
You can't just have two females together in a tank! You have to have several with TONS of plants and hiding places. You should probably divide the tank in half with craft mesh or something so that they each have their own section.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #3 
youlovegnats
Member
 
youlovegnats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
You can't just have two females together in a tank! You have to have several with TONS of plants and hiding places. You should probably divide the tank in half with craft mesh or something so that they each have their own section.
^ +1

It's really a good idea to research these things before you end up with a dead girl. :( Females can be just as aggressive as males, if not more.
I'd divide the tank, like Sweeda suggests.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #4 
mewhales
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
speckles is an extremely docile betta and she have always gotten along with Ninja and Liliac. its just that Liliac and Ninja have an issue which i don't even know. i really don't wanna return Liliac if i have to. i might just buy another female just to spread out the aggression.
mewhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #5 
Micho
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewhales View Post
speckles is an extremely docile betta and she have always gotten along with Ninja and Liliac. its just that Liliac and Ninja have an issue which i don't even know. i really don't wanna return Liliac if i have to. i might just buy another female just to spread out the aggression.
With thirteen gallons I would suggest buying two more, so which will add up to five. The more female Bettas in a sorority the less aggression there will be because they'll spread out, make sure your tank is like a dense jungle with either live/fake plants. Also hiding caves.

You might want to cup them all when you get the new girls and wait a few hours and release them at the same time, they'll establish a pecking order and one will become the queen bee, most likely Liliac since she's the most aggressive.

But yeah don't buy just one more, buy two ~ four more.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
With thirteen gallons I would suggest buying two more, so which will add up to five. The more female Bettas in a sorority the less aggression there will be because they'll spread out, make sure your tank is like a dense jungle with either live/fake plants. Also hiding caves.

You might want to cup them all when you get the new girls and wait a few hours and release them at the same time, they'll establish a pecking order and one will become the queen bee, most likely Liliac since she's the most aggressive.

But yeah don't buy just one more, buy two ~ four more.
+1.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #7 
Bambi
Member
 
Bambi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Like has een said, get two more girls. :) They'll add more life aswell as spread the aggression. Make sure they're about the same size as the ones you have already.

Also, if the new additions don't help you can always give lilac her own tank. you can get a 2.5gallon critter keeper pretty cheap, or alarger tank if you wanna spend the money on a 'real' one.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 gallon split tank, two bettas and.. DionDimucci Betta Fish Compatibility 3 01-25-2011 09:04 AM
Can I put two bettas together in a 10 gallon tank? dmoser84 Betta Fish Compatibility 12 10-21-2010 09:17 PM
How many female bettas can go in gallon tank? LuveMehSkittlez Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 10 07-28-2010 10:36 PM
my new bettas 2 gallon tank rockstar26 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 9 08-09-2009 07:12 PM
Female Bettas in 2.5 gallon tank caliroze Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 14 06-09-2009 02:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.