Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Leaking tank!! Help, please!! ;__;

This is from part of my other thread I had under 'habitats and accessories' but seeing as how it's becoming consistent problem and given the circumstance, I consider this an emergency.. So I apologize for the technical 'double post' but I'm kinda cut short with time, and hope that someone responds regardless....

I need to find a way to slow the intake water flow.... My filter leaks occasionally because of a flawed design with the filter and two small indents on the top back of the tank.... -.- I used to be able to just find a 'sweet spot' for the filter to sit, but now suddenly when I woke up this morning I heard 'drip... drip.. drip' I got up to check the tank, and the rag I put behind the tank on the off-chance it leaked again overnight was soaked! I'm furious at this point.... I need suggestions on how to slow the intake, because that's where my problem lies and it will slow the flow of water as well....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a4...PICT1239-1.jpg

The U-shaped intake tube won't sit low enough and the water intake is so great, that it flows up and leaks through the opening... Which wouldn't be all that bad had there not been a small upside down U-shape (which the tube doesn't even touch) that was meant to 'conform' to the tubes shape leaving it room to point downward.... Instead, it leaves room for leaks... -.- I really need help with this one, you guys... I'm at a loss and it's going to jepordize my fish and my snail's life, as well as possible water damage to my refrigerator and carpet ;__;... Plus I have school in a few hours, which I've been sick for the past two weeks, and that just makes matters worse >.<
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Your pic didn't show up.....

What size is this tank and what type of filter are you using...can you post a pic of the filter part that is leaking and a link to the filter itself to give us a better idea...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #3 
Draug Isilme

Sorry about that... I thought I mentioned the size and filter type, but I guess it was a separate post....

My tank is a 5g and the filter is a the Tetra Whisper PF10. I spent this morning brainstorming and stuffed a piece of sponge in the tube part where it's detachable.... It works, but now it seems like it makes my filter work a bit harder and I can hear it, now, so I'm somewhat worried it'll burn out the motor -.- Maybe I should shorten the length of the sponge? Or anyone have any other solutions that won't hurt my filter or fish?

Last edited by Draug Isilme; 10-26-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Mine leak or over spill in that section too, however, it never gets on the floor...it spills over into the tank itself so it has never been a problems.....in my case it is due to the filter media needing to be cleaned and once I do that it stops.

I would pull the filter and tear it a part-clean it and put it back together and try again....the baffle may be the cause too and you may have to remove that in order for it to work properly....or try placing that second sponge used for the baffle behind the filter media and not in front of the overflow...

Also, with some filters you will have a level tab-try pushing it out more or use something between the filter box and glass so that the filter is tilted up or more toward the tank...make sense.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-26-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

I'm sure mine would overflow and spill into the tank like yours if it weren't for the random indentations made in the actual tank where the filter goes. For whatever reason, I'm not sure, as the filter doesn't have any indentations that match up to it and the filter is also too big for me to move and place wires or tubes, either, so it's rather useless.. -.-
I know it doesn't have anything to do with the tank filter being too dirty because it happened within the first week I had gotten it with no fish or snail or baffle and only just a small bit of fish food because I was trying to do a fish-less cycle at the time using only fish food. I never put the sponge over the intake until a bit before my fish was put in there (which was about two months from when I first got it), so I know it's not causing the problem, either.... Plus if I remove it, I know the intake would be too strong, and my fish would be stuck to it anytime he tried to swim near it. I wish there was some sort of level tab I could use to make it move, but it's fixed as it is.... -.-
Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The tank has indentation or the hood...sorry...trying to understand...the filter didn't come with the tank...right....and you can't adapt anything to make it fit better.....since the filter doesn't have the level tab-you can use a thick piece of cardboard or something to stick between the filter and glass at the bottom of the filter so it kinda tilts more toward the tank...and you have the intake tube sitting in the housing correctly...I am sure you do....just a thought....
Old 10-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Nah, it's okay, I wasn't really being clear enough as I was trying to figure out how to describe it myself ^.^; It's more like the black rim around the tank has the two small indentations. I originally thought it was so if you had heaters and such, it'll fit there and you wouldn't have to worry about the hood pinching them then you close it, but according to the instructions, I'm supposed to put the filter there, especially since it's the only opening big enough for the filter to fit with the hood... The filter actually came with the tank. It was one of those tank kits and I ordered it from the Walmart website online.... So since it came with it, that's why it baffles (lol pun xD) me so much, while also telling me that it's pretty much a manufacturing flaw... Especially since I had already tried baffling it for my betta and he still gets pushed around in certain areas and it messes up his bubble nest occasionally....
When I get my hands on some cardboard, I'll see about trying that and removing the sponge I put down the intake tube this morning if I can't manage to adjust the sponge where it needs to be... If it didn't sound like it caused my filter to work harder, I'd leave the sponge since it slows the intake and doesn't overflow where the intake tube is.. My betta isn't being pushed around like he was either and I think he's enjoying the still water more, but I just might have to find another way to baffle it so I won't break the dang filter....
Old 10-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #8 
Draug Isilme

Ya know, I think they might've given me the wrong filter..... >.> I was looking at the tank I got on the Walmart website online and while it doesn't specify what filter comes with it, the one that's advertised in the 'product features' isn't the same filter I have... The label on the filter says 'whisper 2-5', although now that I'm triple checking, it says below the image 'may vary from example shown' so... I dunno, I don't want to think that they tried giving me a strong filter on purpose so I'd have to go out and buy another one xD but seems kinda likely... I'm paranoid -.-

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258
Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

It could be the wrong filter...did they give you a 1-800 number or anything so that you could call or e-mail them maybe...don't know about walmart but some places will send you a new filter to make the customer happy....just a thought....
Old 10-28-2011, 03:00 AM   #10 
Draug Isilme

I managed to get a piece of sponge in it to where it didn't stress the filter out and slowed the intake without it leaking where it was ^.^ So it's all good... I believe my first attempt with a piece of sponge slowed the flow too much as I noticed later yesterday the nitrite spiked a smidge, but once I fixed it and tested today it was back to normal. Although I also changed the water the day before yesterday, so it might've had a bit of effect on the nitrite and not the possibly too low outflow.. thing.. >.>; Hard for me to say, really..
But yeah, thanks for being there for me, Oldfishlady ^.^ I really appreciate the responses and you being there for me helped me not freak out as much...