Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #1 
Badjer

See through divider?

My two males live together in a divided tank. The divider is quite see through, but at first it wasn't an issue. They just ignored each other. But now they've been living in the tank for a week, and plants and hiding place have been added. I guess they've established their "territories" and Tybalt has become much more aggressive. He flares when Xavier, who is much smaller than Tybalt and has only flared back ONCE, comes anywhere close to the divider. Xavier swims away as fast as he can, and has been hiding behind the filter where Tybalt can't see him majority of the day. So the divider needs to become less see through, while still allowing adequate water flow. I've seen the report binder idea, and like it. But since this divider was made for this tank and fits perfectly, is there any way I can somehow configure it to be less see through?
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #2 
Gen2387

I don't know what your divider is made out from but you could put a second layer with a very small space in between if you don't want to take out this one. If it doesn't obstruct the water flo of course... other than that, the only thing I can think of is to replace that one by a new one. But I don't have that much imagination so... LOL!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I'm setting up a divided tank atm myself, I'm considering trying to attach some java moss to the divider. Just a thought, and thank you to Sakura for the idea.

Some people put plants (live or fake) against the divider to try and break it up that way.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #4 
Badjer

Thanks for the response! It's just a plastic divider that came with my tank (which, might I add, is actually not large enough to divide among two bettas. Wish I'd known that before hand!). I figured I could cover it in another layer. Right now I'm thinking about either:
A. Using aquarium sealant to fasten a layer of that craft mesh that people use to make dividers, over my divider. I've never used aquarium sealant, so I'm not sure if this is possible.
B. My friend suggested perhaps using a grassy silk plant, cutting it apart, and weaving the strands through the divider so its harder for them to see each other. Not sure if this is a great idea either though!

Any feedback on these ideas or other suggestions are welcome!
Old 10-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #5 
Bambi

Alot of people put the plants in front of/along the divider so that the view is broken up.

idk about where you are, but my local walmart carries a really long grass type plant that would work great for weaving into the divider. They generally about as tall(or taller) then a ten gallon tank is long, so there should be plenty.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I'm in the process of dividing a new 10 gal, I used the plastic "spines" from report covers and black plastic canvas. The aquarium sealant is easy enough to use, unless you get it on your fingers, it feels like uergh.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025
Step by step guide for the dividers!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #7 
Badjer

I currently have a plant put in front of the divider, but Xavier can't get anywhere close to it without Tybalt flaring. He seems to have eagle eyes! I think I'll try that Bambi...seems like it might be the easiet and perhaps more appealing than try to add another layer to the divider. Thanks for the link Silverfang, but I'd prefer to see if I can make this divider work first since it already fits my tank perfectly. If it doesn't though, I'm going to give these a shot!

Last edited by Badjer; 10-30-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Spelling errors. XP