Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #1 
LovinGodsKritters

Greetings, and Questions

Greetings to all! I just completed my registration.

I have a new betta, Li, who just moved from his 1 gallon to a nice 5 gallon home. He was fearful at first but is having a much better time in his larger tank.

I was wondering what types of live plants I could acquire for that size tank, and from where, and maybe how much I should be spending for it/them.

Also, what types of fish and other kritters would do well with him?

He's so neat, and he LOVES the interaction between my family and himself. However, when we are gone, I don't want him to be depressed. (Even tho' my precious kitty, Annie, thinks he's the neatest buddy, especially since she can't take a poke at him with the hood on his new home! They will sit and look at each other for a LOOOONG time! My daughter got the cutest pic today...Annie's looks have gone from, "Here, sushi," to "Hi, buddy!")

I saw some really neat blue lobsters at a store yesterday. They were about 1-1/2" long. What do you think about adding one?

Also, then, whatever other kritters I would add...would that change the type(s) of live plants I could/should add?

I really enjoyed reading your answers to others' questions, and I thank you in advance for helping us!

Li and his mom
LovinGodsKritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #2 
Falina

First of all welcome, and I'm glad you've decided to give him a better home! I'm sure he'll really enjoy it once he settles in. :)

For a 5g tank I would recommend only a mystery snail or 2, or a few amano shrimp maybe? Too small really for anymore fish in my personal opinion.

Bettas love plants no matter what kinda so just go with something, anything really, that will suit your lighting requirements. I'm no plant expert but I'm sure if you post what kind of lighting you have then other members will be able to give you some recommendations. Floating plants a re usually quite good for bettas, just remember not to have them covering the whole surface as he will need some space to breathe.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #3 
LovinGodsKritters

My lighting

My li'l beauty currently has incandescent lighting -- 15 watts.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #4 
beetlebz

my friend and I got some plants at petco that came in tubes billed as "terrarium / aquarium" plants. lol yeah how ominous is that? but I put mine completely out of water in some really really moist eco earth, and he submerged his, and his plants are doing wonderful <shrug> I dont get it, but they are monster sized and seem to be hardy enough.

oh and try something like THIS to help plants along. I have bulbs very VERY similar in my 20L toad tank only they are straight full spectrum bulbs, and i LOVE them.
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #5 
LovinGodsKritters

Thanks...

...for the plant advice...lol...well, your li'l kritters DO have opposable thumbs, do they not??

(However, I think feeding the fish and feeding ON the fish might become an issue!! lol)

Old 12-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #6 
beetlebz

toads? i didnt think they did lol
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #7 
willow

hello and welcome.
have nothing to add apart from to echo on well done
for giving your Betta a larger new home. :)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #8 
LovinGodsKritters

Thanks!

He seems to be conjuring images of Moby, I think...watching him flare and attack his li'l imaginary friends is hilarious!

My super-attach-cutie...hehehehehe!!

Have a great one!

:)