Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #1 
MykidsBetta

Question Multiple Bettas

Hi,

My son has a very large beta fish that is alittle over 3 years old and my daughter has a new betta that is small. Today I put the two tanks near eachother to set under a lamp and the little one is showing and acting very different. They are in different tanks but I dont want to stress the little fish. The big betta doesnt care and has not flarred at all.

I put a peice of paper inbetween hoping the little fish will relax but he is still flarring and starting to twitch. Is it having fun or I'm I stressing him?

I've never really noticed his behavior before but this is the first time Ive seen him flar and expand his face.
MykidsBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #2 
Bambi

Hmm, if it's still acting strange after you put the paper between them it might be the light that's bothering the small one.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and what a great hobby to share with your children.....

The new Betta may just be showing off to let the other Betta know he is a male or if its a female-she may be flirting.....are both Bettas males?

And as Bambi posted-it could be reflection or even the piece of paper that the new Betta is responding to....

If he/she is otherwise acting and eating without issue....all should be fine...

Love to see some pics of both Bettas and their setups....we love pics around here...lol....and to hear more about you and your children Betta adventures.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #4 
MykidsBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hmm, if it's still acting strange after you put the paper between them it might be the light that's bothering the small one.
It seems like he is looking for the other fish. Maybe it was a accomplishment dance he was doing, Im not really sure but I turned off the light and he is swimming around but still showing his flare but stopped that dance. It was like he was zig zaging. I should do some more reading.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #5 
MykidsBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and what a great hobby to share with your children.....

The new Betta may just be showing off to let the other Betta know he is a male or if its a female-she may be flirting.....are both Bettas males?

And as Bambi posted-it could be reflection or even the piece of paper that the new Betta is responding to....

If he/she is otherwise acting and eating without issue....all should be fine...

Love to see some pics of both Bettas and their setups....we love pics around here...lol....and to hear more about you and your children Betta adventures.

Hi, I know the little one is a boy not real sure about the big one but I was told he was a boy. We just brought the big one home yesterday from grandmas house. She was afraid her cat was going to eat it.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #6 
SnowySurface

Welcome to the forum. :)

It is natural for betta's to flare so that doesn't mean he's stressed. He could also be flaring at you had your face near his tank to look at him. So I wouldn't be too freaked that the little guy is flaring. If he is really small then he is still young. He will become more territorial with age which will lead to more flaring in the future.

Do you mind telling me the size of the tanks? If it's less than a gallon then that could be the reason why the little betta freaked. The little betta only has a little bit of space and a big giant betta could easily take it by force. So, he's putting on a big display to try and scare the big betta away. the big betta doesn't care because the little betta isn't a threat to his territory. I don't keep betta's in anything under a gallon because it tends to make them hyper territorial, ime. You can also find little heaters for 1-3 gallon tanks so you can plug in the heater instead of using a lamp for heat.

If I'm still wrong and you were using the light to make the tank look pretty, then you are using the wrong kind of bulb. There are tank bulbs that screw into lamps for cheap at most pet stores. Maybe changing the regular bulb to a aquarium bulb can make the little guy more comfortable.

I hope this helps. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #7 
MykidsBetta

Hi Snowy,

I turned off the light and the little one is calmer. I was using my desk lamp to keep them warm and its also nicer to see into the tank. I think my tank is about a gallon. I got it from petco, it came as a kit.

The big betta is in a large bowl, maybe a gal.

This is the first time I put the little one under the lamp... I think that was it.
Thanks for your ideas. I think I'll buy a new bulb =)
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #8 
SnowySurface

No problem. I had my Bettas in one gallon tanks for years until I moved into my new apartment. I know it can be difficult to find accessaries for tanks smaller than 5 gallons from experience. Now I can dedicate a chunk of my livingroom just to them and future ideas. Not that I'm going overboard or anything. I would never do that. *halo appears over my head*

Of course the year I do upgrade from 1 gallon tanks I start to see 1 gallon tank accessaries all over the place. Which is why I noticed the screw in aquarium bulb and 7.5watt heater. There is also a tiny filter that can work with the petco tank if you have this kit. It's the tetra 3i for about 10 bucks. I can't think of any filter suggestions for the bowl since I don't like bowls much. Once a 1 gallon is filtered you only have to do 2 50% water changes a week and 1 100% water change at the end of the week. It sounds more complicated than it really is. At one point I could do the partial water changes for 2 tanks in 5 minutes and the 100% water changes in 30 minutes. :)

Good luck setting up the home of the little guy.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Based on an experiment I conducted-I found that Bettas don't create ammonia/byproducts like some think...

In 1gal-to-4gal unfiltered without live plants-water quality could be maintain with twice weekly water changes....1-50% and 1-100%.....

On the filtered 1-4gal-water changes of twice weekly 50% would maintain water quality-provided that the Betta wasn't overfed and uneaten food was removed within a reasonable time...

I found that in order to help the Betta maintain fins and to build a strong immune response that they needed to build antibodies and too many water changes prevented this.

It was a balance....not too many and not too few......and by adding live plants it changed the whole ball game....lol.....

Treatments are a different story-often 100% daily water changes are part of the treatment-but these are short term and didn't have an impact on antibody development....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-31-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykidsBetta View Post
Hi Snowy,

I turned off the light and the little one is calmer. I was using my desk lamp to keep them warm and its also nicer to see into the tank.
I just want to recommend that you invest in a heater. Lamps are not a good source of heat because:
- they don't allow you to control the temperature and frequently make the water too hot or too cold
- you have to turn them off at night, at which time the temperature plummets down, making it both cold and variable. A fluctuating temperature is not good and can do your fish more harm than a steady cooler one.

Definitely invest in a heater if you can because it will not only provide the necessary warmth (bettas need 78-82F to stay in optimum health), it will also provide a nice steady temperature with less danger of fluctuation. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote