Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #1 
laughing

I have a huge dilemma and need your help!

I have Julep in his 2.5... he's always been perfectly fine with warm water. Thankfully it is warm from March or April to usually the end of October. (Right on schedule!) But today his tank was at 68*!! Not okay in my book! He was still his happy little self, but I don't want to risk anything.

My problem is during the day it's going to the 80s, so I only needed it heated by a few degrees during the day. At night, I need it to be heated by about 10*. Obviously those mini heaters that heat 3-5 degrees above the air temp won't suffice. Then once March-April hits, I won't need the heater during the day, but would like it to be there in case we have an off cold day, but will need it at night. See my dilemma?

What are my options? I haven't seen adjustable heaters this small.. am I missing them? Or are there over non-conventional heating ways I should explore?

Thank you!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

You can get a heater that is for a larger tank... just need to make sure you have a thermometer to check the temperature.
I'm not sure the brand because they are in storage now, but I've had heaters for 10 and 20 galon in a 2.5 galon.
I think I had them set to 72 degrees and the water stayed at a constant 80 degrees... again, proceed with caution and make absolutely sure you're looking at the temp.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #3 
laughing

My problem is is that he likes his 2.5 half way full, so anything bulky wont do. I plan on filling the tank all the way up now, but still, it isn't very deep, (width wise) so I'm not sure how a 10 gallon heater will work, unfortunately.. :-/
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #4 
tf1265

You can order heaters by wattage. Try to get the lowest wattage that you can. I've seen them for 10W, and even a few for 7.5, they are quite small. Try to get one of those. They might not be adjustable, but most of them have a "set" temperature - they are set to heat your tank to 78 degrees all the time. Ideally you want about 5 watts per gallon, so 10W would be perfect. Even 25W would work - you could probably go as high as 50W without frying your fish.

Look on ebay or amazon, you'll have to wait a few more days but as long as you do your best to stay on top of it, he'll be fine - 68 is cold, but it won't kill him.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #5 
roubidoux

I use an Elite Mini Submersible (it's adjustible) in a 3 gallon tank and it works great.
roubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

Check heaters on Dr foster and smith aquatic website... On the details section it will tell you the size of the heater. There's a Hydro heater that is only about 6" long
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote