Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #1 
ShyDog

Sorority Girl

So the sorority is going good, no major problems except my one girl. From what I can tell it looks like she has chronic SBD, which means she hangs out at the top alot. The alpha I don't feel is too aggressive (just ocassionally nips at the girls, they have a few marks but it's only week one of the set up)

now, the problem is the girl with SBD is getting shredded left and right by the whole sorority, is there anything I can do? (maybe reintroduce her with another girl?) (planning on double filtering the tank and removing the snail)
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #2 
Micho

If one of your girls has chronic SBD she's going to keep getting shredded, you might want to get her own tank since she's at disadvantage with SBD.

You can try introducing a new girl but that might be risky, I would suggest scooping them all up and re-arranging the decor in the tank and letting them go all at the same time, they should establish a pecking order again, rather than letting the new girl get bullied by all of the other girls.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #3 
ShyDog

Thanks for the advice Micho, I did move her from the sorority to her own tank and am right now treating her with AQ salt for her fins Kinda hoping it's not chronic, because she seems to do just fine when she doesn't over eat her share of the food. I'm going to rearrange everything when I clean in a couple of days and might look for a new girl to reintroduce with her if it's not chronic
Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #4 
Myates

Hanging out at the top isn't really a sign of SBD, is she showing the main SBD symptoms such as can't stay upright, can't swim upright or up and down? Lays on her side continuously? Head or tail always sticking up?

I have to agree with Micho- she needs her own tank. You can't treat her properly in the community tank. If she has the true signs of SBD you will want to do 1-2 tsp pre-dissolved Epsom Salt per gallon (with regular water conditioner), daily 100% water changes until a few days past her last SBD symptom.

Hanging out at the top all the time, if she isn't showing signs other then her location, it's most likely she doesn't feel she has a safe place to go to, and that she is being picked on and is overly stressed. Do you have a picture of your tank set up? You should have a lot of mid to tall plants all over, wanting the tall plants to touch the top of the water. You will want to mix it up so that the lines of sights are broken in different areas of the tank. You want a dense amount of plants to where you can't see the back of the tank, or looking from the side, the other side is what is recommended. What size tank is it?

But again I want to stress, don't treat her for SBD if you only think she has it due to her being at the surface more then not. As that is more stress and not feeling comfortable, then it has to do with her SB.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #5 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDog View Post
Thanks for the advice Micho, I did move her from the sorority to her own tank and am right now treating her with AQ salt for her fins Kinda hoping it's not chronic, because she seems to do just fine when she doesn't over eat her share of the food. I'm going to rearrange everything when I clean in a couple of days and might look for a new girl to reintroduce with her if it's not chronic
Don't treat shredded fins with AQ salt, very highly not recommended.. AQ salt should only be used for treatment purposes as it can very easily harm their internal organs, and in most cases cause kidney damage. AQ salt will also make SBD worse... clean water and Stress Coat are what you are wanting to do for her fins.. only use AQ salt for certain external bacteria problems. I recommend removing her from the AQ salt.. (Also, AQ salt has potential to hamper fin growth)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #6 
ShyDog

Sorry Myates,
(
I swear I read to treat external problems with AQ, I will remove her from that right away.

The reason I thought it was SBD is because she was having a bit of trouble staying up right and honestly as soon as I put her in her own tank, she started behaving differently (swimming around, not resting at the top) I think she might have just not been cut out for the community tank, but I'll defer to you guys the experts on that.
EDIT: deffinately put stress coat in there

here's a picture of my tank set up:

Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #7 
Myates

I think your tank looks good =) Even though it's not packed in with plants, it still has a lot of cover to it.
You are correct about using AQ salt for external issues, but fins that have been ripped, especially by another doesn't need the AQ salt.. it would be needed if she developed fin rot due to dirty water after being shredded. But just for shredding, clean water is the best, Stress Coat to help it grow faster.

If she is able to swim correctly, then I think it was most likely due to stress while in the tank. As you said, she may not be cut out for the sorority life, each one is different. I hope she heals fast for you =)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #8 
ShyDog

Thanks Myates!

I read as much as I could about setting up a good tank for a sorority before I ventured into it : ) I appreciate your feed back, and again sorry for the confusion about AQ salt. The girl is having no issues swimming now, and I think I'll just work on making her comfertable in her 1.5 gallon (not ideal but it'll do for now)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #9 
Myates

Good to hear =) And a 1.5 could work out great - especially if you pick up some very easy live plants such as a Java fern or Java moss, Naja grass, Anubias.. as they don't need the soil, or a filter, or a lot of light. A npt small tank is a great set up for a single betta.

Don't be sorry.. a lot of people use AQ salt as the go-to when trying to help their fish. In some cases it's fine, but in others, not so much. It's just rather not get her immune to the beneficial properties of it, as well as not harm her with using it when it isn't needed, and save it for when it truly is. Can't get mad at someone doing all they can and what they believe is the best for their fish =)
Old 11-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #10 
ShyDog

Thanks again Myates,

I had one last question actually is it normal for them to nip places other than the fins? I noticed that they seem to nip at the gill plates of each other.