Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #1 
londongirl

sick betta no idea whats wrong !!

1 of my males is sick n I have no idea what's wrong with him at 1st it looked like fin rot so I treated with AQ salts n it cleared up(doing daily 100% water changes in a 2 gal tank), then it started looking like dropsy so I treated that with epsom salts n anti-parasite pellets after 3 days his fins unclamped n his belly changed back 2 his normal bluey colour(still carried on treatment 4 another 7 days just 2 be safe) only now he looks like he has pop eye n his fins are shedded n he's refusing 2 eat anything, he aint bloated, but he aint no where near as active as he used 2 be.

I'll try n upload pics when he stays still long enough 4 me 2 get none blurry ones
londongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What is he in now as far as treatment...still the Epsom salt...if so, how much Epsom salt are you using.......any other chemical additives-beside dechlorinator.

How old is he, any live plants or what is in the tank to help make him feel secure, are you still doing the 100% water changes and how many total days did you do 100% water changes......

Popeye...one or both eyes....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #3 
londongirl

Pictures

This is how he looked almost a month ago
Pop eye, i think curled in2 the C n looking VERY skinny Under belly looking abit grey colour aint 2 great on my phone His fins now
Pop eye looks like both eyes altho he now looks kinda curled up like a C n hes gotten VERY skinny cos he just wont eat anything, i've tried flakes of various brands, pellets of various brands aswell as live food n he wont eat any of it.

Yes im still doing the epsom salt for treatment as im at a loss as of what to actually treat him with his symptoms keep changing like atm hes showing sings of all 3 but he was fine 20 mins ago. I'm still doing 100% daily water changes, i've transferred him in2 a large vase inside the tank as my Quarantine tank is currently in use treating fin rot with chimchar.

I have no idea how old he is as he was brought from a aquatic's store n he already looked full size, he has 3 plant cuttings in with him along with an upturned poly cup with a hole cut out (no sharp edges)

Last edited by londongirl; 11-02-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 11-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

When he is in the "C" position...is he floating at the top......if so, sadly, that is often a sign of the end.....and not a lot can be done at that stage except to keep them comfy and if he seem to be suffering you need to do what is right by him....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #5 
londongirl

He's usually in the middle when he does the C, is there ANYTHING I could possibly do 2 bring him back, he perks up wen my females tank is near his but then they get stressed.

I really don't wana lose him, my lil boy loves him
Old 11-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #6 
londongirl

He's eating

I went out and brought some more live food 2 try and get him 2 eat n hes eating whatever i put in with him now.

I have live bloodworms n live daphnie (think thats correct spelling), now im wondering how much 2 feed him of each cos thats all hes eating n i dont want 2 over feed him so i was thinking 3 bw n a pellet or 2 if he'll eat them now then swap the bloodworms for daphnie for the next feed.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #7 
yumekon

im not an expert like everyone else but do remember his little tummy is only as big as his eyeball soo not too much. maybe hes a bit stressed from the 100% water changes everyday. just imagine the new environment he has to adjust to everyday. but thats my opinion.

hope he gets better!!!!
yumekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #8 
londongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumekon View Post
im not an expert like everyone else but do remember his little tummy is only as big as his eyeball soo not too much. maybe hes a bit stressed from the 100% water changes everyday. just imagine the new environment he has to adjust to everyday. but thats my opinion.

hope he gets better!!!!

I know thats why i wanted 2 check i wasn't over feeding him last thing i need with him is another problem lol.
I hope its only the stress of 100% daily water changes thats affcting him n not something more serious, altho i am acclimatising him each time not just putting him in new treated water.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #9 
yumekon

acclimation is definitely key especially for everyday water changes. keep us updated !! :DD
yumekon is offline   Reply With Quote