Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #1 
Wolfboy51

Betta 4gal tankmate(s)

Hi i was wondering what kind of shrimp to put in my 4gal tank, how many and what they eat. all posts appreciated! .
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #2 
ShyDog

Some questions:

Are you filtering your tank? is it planted? This will help out some of the experts when they come by

The best beginner shrimp are Ghost shrimp, their inexpensive and have a tiny bio load.
They will either eat uneaten food, algae, or algae wafers if you have no algae.
Beware, your betta might find them good as food instead of tank mates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfboy51 View Post
Hi i was wondering what kind of shrimp to put in my 4gal tank, how many and what they eat. all posts appreciated! .
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #3 
Laki

Shrimp are a good starter. For a 4 g you could get away with 1 African Dwarf Frog.. There are cons to that though-competition for food, toe nipping. . You would have to increase the cleanings to prevent bioload. Have to feed the frog in a terra cotta dish at the bottom and bc they have such poor vision it could take them a while to realise its there and so the betta might get at it first. ADF's are apparantly funny little guys. They can be alone but having 2 or more would be ideal ^.^ (((SO if you upped one more gallon you could get 2 ADF and the betta)))
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #4 
Micho

To be honest after reading the ADF guide and how they need 5 gallons each I wouldn't recommend ADFs, they're also territorial at times, which is not good mix with a Betta.

You won't be able to go with my fish friends, community tanks need 10 gallons and up.

So you're left with shrimps or one snail, for the snail I recommend a Nerite snail, they're smaller which means less poop and they can't reproduce unless in brackish water, mystery/apple snails are grow too big and poop too much for a 4g.

Shrimps usually end up as snacks if you don't give them cover like some sort of carpeting plant, java moss or any moss plants works really well. You can start with Ghost Shrimps, they're cheap and if they die, oh well. If the Ghost Shrimps thrive try Red Cherry Shrimps, if they thrive they'll reproduce like crazy so they'll populate your tank in no time.

That's pretty much it. .
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #5 
Wolfboy51

Ty every1 i think i will try the ghost shrimp. Ill give them some mugs to hide in.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #6 
Silverfang

live plants are great for them to hide in, especially java moss (or any moss!). Just give them lots of nooks and crannies to hide in to increase the odds of survival.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #7 
Micho

I found out that my Ghost Shrimp like to hide under things (driftwood, and lava rock). Basically anywhere it's dark and some place they can retreat to if they feel in danger.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #8 
Myates

Mugs would be too large, as a lot of male bettas love caves themselves, your betta will end up in there snacking on the shrimp.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #9 
Wolfboy51

K if
Mugs are to big il see wat they have at the petshop thats. Too small for bettas but big enough for
Shrimp.